Water in diesel

/ Water in diesel #1  

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
My full 5 gallon diesel fuel can was in the back of the truck while it rained. The fancy-schmancy no-spill spout seems to have been stuck slightly in the "open" position, and I'm concerned some water got in. It got me thinking...

Can anybody confirm whether my tractor (Bobcat CT225) has a fuel/water separator? I think yes; I think it's the clear plastic cup underneath the fuel cutoff valve, and fuel filter, but I'm not 100% sure.

How can I tell if water is in the fuel?

What's the best thing to do with the fuel? I'm leaning towards just pouring it into the truck, when the tank is nearly full, since 5 gallons of watery diesel out of a 30-gallon tank is a lot less than 5 gallons in my tractor's 6-gallon tank. I hope the answer isn't, "dispose of it at all costs," because, sheesh, that's just like tossing $20 in the garbage. Yeah, it's cheap compared to the cost of new injectors, but surely there's a workaround?

/ Water in diesel #2  
I have a Kioti CK 27 and as far as I know what you are referring to is the fuel filter/water separator. I wouldn't be too concerned with putting the fuel in your tractor. Also is it that likely that you got much water into the can at all? It just does not seem all that possible to have gotten more then just a half a pint and I would think that would be on the high side. Look in your owners manual and it should depict weather or not my thoughts are correct on the separator/filter.

/ Water in diesel #3  
I wouldn't ask the system to do any more separating than I could do myself before fueling up. I had a similar issue recently with gas for a generator. Having but a few gal to deal with I poured off a bit at a time to inspect visually, and water droplets were obvious when I got to the last of it. A weird thing about it all was that when I left that sitting for later determination the water seemed to have disappeared from the bottom in two days. To be safe I added a bit of MMO to emulsify any (unseen?) remaining moisture and poured the last into the not-fussy golf cart that often gets the dregs but never complains.

Gas isn't diesel, but since I fuel everything from cans I might still do similar for the tractor if/when water 'happens'. Separators do require attention/service, so I wouldn't feed one any more than I absolutely had to between maintenance intervals.

/ Water in diesel
I have a Kioti CK 27 and as far as I know what you are referring to is the fuel filter/water separator. I wouldn't be too concerned with putting the fuel in your tractor. Also is it that likely that you got much water into the can at all? It just does not seem all that possible to have gotten more then just a half a pint and I would think that would be on the high side. Look in your owners manual and it should depict weather or not my thoughts are correct on the separator/filter.

I dunno how much water could have gotten in. We've had a few inches of rain, but the spout isn't that big, so no, it's probably not much. But I don't know how much is enough to really care about either.

/ Water in diesel #5  
Water is heavier than all fuels so it should be right on the bottom. Pour it off slowly into a glass container and let it set for a few minutes. You should be able to see the water, if not, pour into your tractor and refill the gallon jug. Keep watching it especially when you get close to the bottom. You should be able to separate it out down to a pint or less.

/ Water in diesel #6  
On a Cummins diesel I owned the fuel filter had a "Water In Fuel" sensor on the bottom of the fuel filter. It also had a drain on the filter to remove water although I never had to do this in the twelve years I owned it. I'm kind of thinking that it would work the same way on my tractor. That any water would show in the bottom of the clear cover that my fuel filter is in.

/ Water in diesel #7  
5 Gallons of fuel isnt worth the damage water can do, but I agree it will settle out and on the bottom of any tank you put it in, could just fill up a clear container over and over to see if any water is in there, doubt it if just the spout was open.

/ Water in diesel #8  
How about letting it settle to the bottom and then keeping it out in the cold. The water will freeze and you can use it.

/ Water in diesel #9  
How about letting it settle to the bottom and then keeping it out in the cold. The water will freeze and you can use it.

X2 or like another person said on here:pour into clear jug, wait for water to settle and siphon off the the top and leave the water in the jug

/ Water in diesel

That's mighty darn clever, and with temps below freezing at night, I just might give it a go. It's answers like this that bring me back to TBN again and again.