Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

Default Re: Baby Bird Rescue

I'd have to agree with you Bird!!! Great that it was done but no way I would have risked my life for a bird. I'm usually knocking the nests out of the barns to feed the birds to the cats. Nothing worse than bird poop all over the machinery.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

<font color="blue"> This is the little tike we rescued from our cat. </font>

That little guy looks a little grumpy! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My wife stood on the bottom rung of the ladder while I went to the top.
    )</font>

I'll bet you told the wife that this was perfectly safe [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Tractor
    John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket

While I'm not proud of this, I've done some real 'Rube Goldberg' setups with ladders back in my youth. This one wasn't bad at all compared to some of those. Heck, you didn't even need someone sitting on the bottom rung. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

All you needed to do was place the base of the ladder against the front bumper and rest it against the back/top of your bucket and climb away from your tractor toward your loader bucket. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

That way the only reason you need your wife there is to call 911 if the ladder gives way on you. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Mitsubishi D 1800

Well you'd be grumpy too, after a cat twice your size was totin' you around in his mouth. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

will have to agree with u again bird! seems like not a safe thing to do. but it appears all worked out well.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3700SU; Hustler Super-Z 66in

Hi Gary,

I didn't think about turning the system around as you suggest. Interesting idea.

Actually, the ladder-tractor system was quite safe. The top of the ladder felt weird because it was not secured against a solid, flat object. But all the loads and pivot points were accounted for correctly. As long as the moment of inertia at the bottom was significantly greater than my moment at the top, all would be well. Since I'm fairly light, it was easy and safe.

The worst part was letting go of the ladder when I was at the top. I had to stand and balance without the use of my hands. That part made me uneasy. But I just kept consentrating, while one had fished the bird out of my shirt pocket and the other hand held onto a pencil thin branch that held the nest.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I'll say it again..

Your a heckofa guy.

Soundguy

Elite Member
    Tractor
    None -yet. Until then FunBuggy (EZ-Go) will have to do!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As long as the moment of inertia at the bottom was significantly greater than my moment at the top, all would be well. Since I'm fairly light, it was easy and safe.
    )</font>

O.K. I just want to make sure I'm hearing correctly! YOU were at the top of the ladder, and your wife was at the bottom of the ladder, and you're saying..... <font color="red"> As long as the moment of inertia at the bottom was significantly greater than my moment at the top, all would be well</font>. Doesn't that mean that you're saying that your wife is.......... Nope, I'm not going there!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] And I hope you don't either!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Advertiser

Tractor
    Kubota B2710

Golfgar4,
    funny, I was thinking the same thing! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast