Baby Bird Rescue

/ Baby Bird Rescue #11  
I'd have to agree with you Bird!!! Great that it was done but no way I would have risked my life for a bird. I'm usually knocking the nests out of the barns to feed the birds to the cats. Nothing worse than bird poop all over the machinery.

/ Baby Bird Rescue #12  
<font color="blue"> This is the little tike we rescued from our cat. </font>

That little guy looks a little grumpy! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Baby Bird Rescue #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My wife stood on the bottom rung of the ladder while I went to the top.
)</font>

I'll bet you told the wife that this was perfectly safe /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Baby Bird Rescue #14  
While I'm not proud of this, I've done some real 'Rube Goldberg' setups with ladders back in my youth. This one wasn't bad at all compared to some of those. Heck, you didn't even need someone sitting on the bottom rung. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All you needed to do was place the base of the ladder against the front bumper and rest it against the back/top of your bucket and climb away from your tractor toward your loader bucket. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

That way the only reason you need your wife there is to call 911 if the ladder gives way on you. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Baby Bird Rescue #15  
Well you'd be grumpy too, after a cat twice your size was totin' you around in his mouth. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Baby Bird Rescue #16  
will have to agree with u again bird! seems like not a safe thing to do. but it appears all worked out well.

/ Baby Bird Rescue
Hi Gary,

I didn't think about turning the system around as you suggest. Interesting idea.

Actually, the ladder-tractor system was quite safe. The top of the ladder felt weird because it was not secured against a solid, flat object. But all the loads and pivot points were accounted for correctly. As long as the moment of inertia at the bottom was significantly greater than my moment at the top, all would be well. Since I'm fairly light, it was easy and safe.

The worst part was letting go of the ladder when I was at the top. I had to stand and balance without the use of my hands. That part made me uneasy. But I just kept consentrating, while one had fished the bird out of my shirt pocket and the other hand held onto a pencil thin branch that held the nest.

/ Baby Bird Rescue #18  
I'll say it again..

Your a heckofa guy.

Soundguy

/ Baby Bird Rescue #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As long as the moment of inertia at the bottom was significantly greater than my moment at the top, all would be well. Since I'm fairly light, it was easy and safe.
)</font>

O.K. I just want to make sure I'm hearing correctly! YOU were at the top of the ladder, and your wife was at the bottom of the ladder, and you're saying..... <font color="red"> As long as the moment of inertia at the bottom was significantly greater than my moment at the top, all would be well</font>. Doesn't that mean that you're saying that your wife is.......... Nope, I'm not going there!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif And I hope you don't either!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Baby Bird Rescue #20  
Golfgar4,
funny, I was thinking the same thing! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif