Baby Bird Rescue

/ Baby Bird Rescue #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was thinking the same thing! )</font>

Von,

I'm really glad to hear that! I was wondering if I was just mis-reading it. Now we know that Peter has stepped in it! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Baby Bird Rescue #22  
That could be another reason I thought of using the tractor as the 'base.' As many of you know, I'm not the smallest guy around. Even on my wedding day I outweighed my bride about 2:1 and, while she's easily within ten pounds of her weight that day (and I wouldn't even bet which way), I'm not (and which way is obvious) using the 3000 lb. tractor just made more sense to me.

The other thing I considered was if I got too high and reached too far I could turn this into a catapult with her as the munition. Somehow I didn't see her as being impressed with that idea. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Baby Bird Rescue #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Actually, the ladder-tractor system was quite safe. The top of the ladder felt weird because it was not secured against a solid, flat object. But all the loads and pivot points were accounted for correctly. As long as the moment of inertia at the bottom was significantly greater than my moment at the top, all would be well. Since I'm fairly light, it was easy and safe. )</font>

Must be an optical illusion in the picture. It looked to me that the section above the bucket was longer than the section below which would add leverage into the equation.

At any rate, you're a better man than me! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Baby Bird Rescue #24  
SAME THOUGHT crossed my mind /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Baby Bird Rescue
Yeah...uh huh. You got what I said.

I'm a small thin boned guy. My better half is built solid, with big bones and lots of muscle. Before being run over by a car, she was considerably stronger than me. These days she's working hard to gain back that strength that she lost.

We still joke about the time when we had a contest: who could do the most calf raises with 40# on the barbell. She easily did 100 reps, but I barely made it to 80. I could hardly walk for the next 3 days (no kidding).

Just to be picky, the moment of interia is defined as Force x Distance from the pivot. So for the ladder to remain in place as it did (before I got on it), the moment at the bottom was already greater.

...nough sed.