Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine
Re: Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting en

thanks!

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine
Re: Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting en

Many Thanks for the post. Very useful info which I'm currently following.

W-I-P hopefully no damage. Will provide update when I'm done.

Good additional info re the muffler - Thanks!

Thanks JB - I'll do the removal thing as I need to get this beastie back on the job asap - Thank you

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine #16  

Just to re-iterate what others have said: if you ever flip your tractor, do not crank it until you are sure that the engine is not hydro locked. Diesel engines have very high compression ratios, and fluids like oil are very non-compressible. When the tractor exceeds a certain angle (such as if it is rolled or flipped), oil can run down into the cylinders. If the engine is cranked with oil in the cylinders, the engine is very likely to be damaged. Most likely break, as I understand it, is a bent piston rod. The engine drives the piston up and it just can't go any further and the rod bends.

Steps to rectify the situation have been listed here: pulling the glow plugs and turning the engine by hand or with a ratchet. I'll leave those details to the experts. But for everyone else reading, please save yourself the heartache and an expensive repair. If your tractor ever rolls or flips, DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE until you are 100% sure the cylinders are clear.

BTW, this assumes you're using a diesel. I don't think that gasoline engines have it so bad, since they run at lower compression ratios.

Last edited:
   / Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine #17  

Can happen with gas engines too, the inertia of the rotating crank and flywheel can bend rods. I work for a towing company and get rolled cars, somtimes gently. I roll them back over and never try to start them and sometimes they are driveable even, to which I tell the customer about hydrolock and I wouldnt recommend trying to start it untill its been determined if safe to crank over by a mechanic.

Wouldnt worry too much about the muffler, the oil will burn out of it no problem, not worth going through the extra time unless you have to remove it anyway.

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine #18  

Can happen with gas engines too, the inertia of the rotating crank and flywheel can bend rods. I work for a towing company and get rolled cars, somtimes gently. I roll them back over and never try to start them and sometimes they are driveable even, to which I tell the customer about hydrolock and I wouldnt recommend trying to start it untill its been determined if safe to crank over by a mechanic.

Wouldnt worry too much about the muffler, the oil will burn out of it no problem, not worth going through the extra time unless you have to remove it anyway.
Pull the spark plugs, spin the engine over a dozen times or more with the starter, reinstall spark plugs, and all is well on a gas engine(unless it has the fuel shut off switch in the trunk). But you are giving correct information............most people out there nowadays have no clue what a spark plug is.

EDIT: and if........God forbid, I should ever roll my tractor..........the first order of business is to right the tractor, second, is pull the glow plugs to get the oil out of the cylinders by turning the engine over by hand at first. I personally won't wait 24 hours, then attempt to turn with the starter.............the oil may have drained down, but it just ain't worth the risk. The clearance between the piston, and the valves is about the thickness of a human hair, doesn't take much oil to fill an area that small and bend the valves or rod.

Last edited:
   / Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine #19  
Welcome and glad your still with us.
I sure hope i never roll mine, I'd probably have to call in some heavy equipment to right it.
Very good information I'll have to remember this.

Dave

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine #20  

Pull the spark plugs, spin the engine over a dozen times or more with the starter, reinstall spark plugs, and all is well on a gas engine(unless it has the fuel shut off switch in the trunk). But you are giving correct information............most people out there nowadays have no clue what a spark plug is.

Exactly, but on the side of the highway with cops waiting on you i try not to get into it with a customer and explain it all with them. Im a mechanic by trade and I tell the customer its their baby if they want to try to crank the engine over, MOST times they have been ok and have started and smoked like **** on fire, but again, wasnt my car or decision.