Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67
  1. #21
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    57
    Location
    Elk Mills, MD
    Tractor
    2008 Kubota 2350

    Default Re: Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting en

    I almost rolled my BX on the 2nd day I had it! I was blown away by this, because it was only a gentle incline. I had wrapped a chain around the mower deck in order to lift it up so i could scrape all the old dried moldy gunk from underneath before storing for the winter. I got it all cleaned up, and was transporting it out to the shed suspended from FEL/bucket. I had the deck hoisted up just a few inches off the ground, but the FEL arms & bucket were at about 45 degrees up. I was just creeping slowly in low range when i felt it start to roll. I had my hand on the joystick so quickly lowered the FEL and it recovered. Scared the crap out of me. The rear tire came off the ground! I was trembling afterwards.
    To make matters worse, it would have rolled right into the side of my pickup truck. I am glad that it happened tho- as it really taught me a huge lesson. I am super paranoid/careful about this thing on any embankment now.

  2. #22
    Elite Member Don87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,226
    Location
    SW Pa.
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

    Default Re: Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting en

    Quote Originally Posted by panchohughes View Post
    I almost rolled my BX on the 2nd day I had it! I was blown away by this, because it was only a gentle incline. I had wrapped a chain around the mower deck in order to lift it up so i could scrape all the old dried moldy gunk from underneath before storing for the winter. I got it all cleaned up, and was transporting it out to the shed suspended from FEL/bucket. I had the deck hoisted up just a few inches off the ground, but the FEL arms & bucket were at about 45 degrees up. I was just creeping slowly in low range when i felt it start to roll. I had my hand on the joystick so quickly lowered the FEL and it recovered. Scared the crap out of me. The rear tire came off the ground! I was trembling afterwards.
    To make matters worse, it would have rolled right into the side of my pickup truck. I am glad that it happened tho- as it really taught me a huge lesson. I am super paranoid/careful about this thing on any embankment now.
    I've had tires off the ground more than once. I don't want to roll it, but I won't let the fear of rolling keep me from doing what needs done. I generally just choose a 'different angle of attack' if I get squimish.

    EDIT: Although I keep forgetting that the kubota is narrower than mine............I could see myself getting even more squimish with a 44 inch width.
    Last edited by Don87; 01-06-2013 at 12:22 AM.
    Don

    MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

  3. #23
    Platinum Member kw22614's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    516
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    Tractor
    Kubota BX1860

    Default Re: Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting en

    Glad YOU and the tractor are ok WHEW!!

  4. #24
    Gold Member wawajake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    396
    Location
    Canada
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

    Default Re: Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting en

    Rear Wheel spacers on my BX2660 took a lot of the pucker factor out of my driving slopes or heavy loads hanging from bucket.
    jake
    BX2660, plus weight box, middle buster and toothbar, and now Agri 40" rototiller, Brotek Wheel spacers ! oh and some home made forks too, and a Wallenstein BX42 Chipper and now a tow behind woodsplitter.and a TMI 48 Rotary Cutter..and 51 inch Agri Ease Snowblower...

  5. #25
    Veteran Member vtsnowedin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,038

    Default Re: Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting en

    Quote Originally Posted by wawajake View Post
    Rear Wheel spacers on my BX2660 took a lot of the pucker factor out of my driving slopes or heavy loads hanging from bucket.
    Have you done the math? At what cross slope will your tractor now reach the point of no return and what angle or cross slope was it in the stock as delivered machine? There ought to be a spread sheet or calculator program around the web somewhere that will crank that out for us. After all if they can compute the bullet drop and drift of any bullet weight and shape leaving the muzzle at any velocity out to any range then they ought to be able to compute the tip over point of any tractor with any attachments moving at any speed over any slope.

  6. #26
    Veteran Member xring100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,021
    Location
    Livingston County, Michigan
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    Have you done the math? At what cross slope will your tractor now reach the point of no return and what angle or cross slope was it in the stock as delivered machine? There ought to be a spread sheet or calculator program around the web somewhere that will crank that out for us. After all if they can compute the bullet drop and drift of any bullet weight and shape leaving the muzzle at any velocity out to any range then they ought to be able to compute the tip over point of any tractor with any attachments moving at any speed over any slope.
    You would need to know the weight and center of gravity height for you tractor loader and the implements. also changes with loader height which is why you should always carry the load as close to the ground as possible. But on An incline as soon as the position of the cg position is outside of the the contact foot print your going over. Tire ballast helps to Significantly lower the cg height of a tractor. At least when the added weight is a significant portion of the overall weight. 3 point ballast boxes shift the cg rear ward and help transfer weight off the front wheels but most of the time it wont lower the cg height significantly in fact on smaller tractors it provably certainly raises it. The backhoe on the back as the weight raises the cg height of most if not all tractors especially SCUTS since most of the weight looks to be above the axle and center of mass of the motor.
    With tire ballast the cg height of the added weight is bellow the center line of the wheel thus lowering the cg height. As mentioned a wider track width definitely helps. Just have to be careful if widening the front as this cause excess load on the wheel bearings if combined with a loader. Don't want to exceed the manufactures recommendation on width

    Dave

    Dave

  7. #27
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    57
    Location
    Elk Mills, MD
    Tractor
    2008 Kubota 2350

    Default Re: Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting en

    Quote Originally Posted by wawajake View Post
    Rear Wheel spacers on my BX2660 took a lot of the pucker factor out of my driving slopes or heavy loads hanging from bucket.
    Would you happen to have any pictures of your tractor with the spacers installed?

  8. #28
    Veteran Member RaydaKub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,515
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

    Default Re: Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting en

    Quote Originally Posted by xring100 View Post
    You would need to know the weight and center of gravity height for you tractor loader and the implements. also changes with loader height which is why you should always carry the load as close to the ground as possible. But on An incline as soon as the position of the cg position is outside of the the contact foot print your going over. Tire ballast helps to Significantly lower the cg height of a tractor. At least when the added weight is a significant portion of the overall weight. 3 point ballast boxes shift the cg rear ward and help transfer weight off the front wheels but most of the time it wont lower the cg height significantly in fact on smaller tractors it provably certainly raises it. The backhoe on the back as the weight raises the cg height of most if not all tractors especially SCUTS since most of the weight looks to be above the axle and center of mass of the motor.
    With tire ballast the cg height of the added weight is bellow the center line of the wheel thus lowering the cg height. As mentioned a wider track width definitely helps. Just have to be careful if widening the front as this cause excess load on the wheel bearings if combined with a loader. Don't want to exceed the manufactures recommendation on width

    Dave
    Widening the front isn't going to help at all because it still pivots in the center. If the tractor has tipped far enough to hit the stops on the axle pivot, you're already gonna need the ROPS and seatbelt (and new shorts).

  9. #29
    Veteran Member vtsnowedin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,038

    Default Re: Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting en

    Quote Originally Posted by RaydaKub View Post
    Widening the front isn't going to help at all because it still pivots in the center. If the tractor has tipped far enough to hit the stops on the axle pivot, you're already gonna need the ROPS and seatbelt (and new shorts).
    That is incorrect. Sorry.
    http://www.nstmop.psu.edu/tasksheets...0Stability.pdf

  10. #30
    Veteran Member vtsnowedin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,038

    Default Re: Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting en

    Quote Originally Posted by panchohughes View Post
    Would you happen to have any pictures of your tractor with the spacers installed?
    Not a BX2660 but well spaced out.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. YM1700 & YM2210 side-by-side pics
    By Ginormous in forum Yanmar
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 06:58 PM
  2. BX25 BX2660 SIDE BY SIDE PICTURES
    By JOHNTHOMAS in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 07:27 AM
  3. Kubota tipped over-Engine locked up
    By 2020racer in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-05-2009, 08:24 AM
  4. JD 2520 & 2305 side by side pics
    By Shawk in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-05-2007, 07:53 PM
  5. BX FEL Left side - Right side
    By DaveNH in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2001, 01:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.