Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine #1  

qra

Tractor
Kubota BX25
Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine

Hi People - tipped my BX25 on it' side this afternoon. Upright again OK but engine doesn't ant to turn. Starter kicks in but there is obviously an issue. Engine oil in cylinders? Any ideas/ previous experience gratefully received.Cheers Q:(

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine #2  
Re: Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting en

Sounds like hydraulic lock(oil in cylinders)do not attempt to start. Remove the glow plugs and turn engine to expell the oil/fluid. It should start

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine #3  
Re: Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting en

Would you care to share how it happened? I came real close once so I know accidents happen. Hoping there's no serious damage for you and you didn't get hurt.

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine #4  

:welcome:

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine #5  

Welcome to the forums!

Here is a thread from a fellow member that tipped his, and what he did. He got a lot of advice on what to do, and I've taken liberty to paste his words here. When you open the thread, at first it won't look like it's about his tipped BX, but just keep reading...

Mine wouldn't start and I went through the anxiety of getting started on here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/104499-bx-vs-42-x-30-a.html

...and definitely read Kevin Beitz's last word on that thread. That might have saved my engine, I don't know.

Last edited:
   / Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine #6  

Do not use the starter to try to turn the engine until you can turn it freely by hand with the glow plugs or the injectors out. Not just back and forth a little but complete revolutions. Sorry to say but damage may have already been done.

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine #7  

After glow plugs are removed, jog the starter little at a time until engine has gone a couple revolutions before holding the key and letting it spin fast. Even better to turn it by hand with a socket on the crankshaft nut.
Take the muffler off when you do this. It probably already has some oil in it but will get more as you spin the engine, oil in that muffler will smoke for long time before it all burns out. Wash the muffler out with parts cleaner solvent, mineral spirits, etc then hang it up to dry.

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine #8  
As stated above Never spin with the starter until hydraulic lock potenial is past.

You can do the things listed above OR just let it stand for 24-48 hours. Any oil will drain past the rings in that time. will smoke some but not bad. run at about 1/2 rated rpms until smoke clears and you should be good to go.

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine

Thanks Patches - appreciate the feedback. Cheers Q

/ Tipped my BX25 FEL & BH on its side - what precautions to take before starting engine

It's not the first time which is a bit embarrassing. Probably a bit over-confident. I've had the tractor for 3 years and have done heaps of useful stuff. Basically I was mowing along a bank, had the back-hoe downhill(hadn't swung it back after changing direction) and the tires slipped and pivoted on very dry grass. All happened very slowly and gave me time to contemplate the idiocy of trying to get too many things done too quickly! No damage to me and I'm hoping no damage to engine. Part way through removing injectors and doing the hand revolution thing as advised by many.