Home made Rimgard?

/ Home made Rimgard? #11  
Also, I was just thinking about the size of the tires that you mentioned. It seems like they could be front tires. If so, I hear that fronts shouldn't be filled if you have a loader on the tractor. I think this could be due to excessive pressure inside the tire since there would not be enough air volume inside to distribute the rise in pressure. With your tires, you should probably put about 21-22 gal in each to hit a 75% fill. At $105 dollars to fill both tires with Rimguard, it works out to be about 2.40 a gal. Not too bad a price considering even Windshield washer fluid is at least $2/gal. I would say the price the dealer quoted you is fair if this tire fill is not being done at the time of the tractor purchase.

PS. I could be over a bit on my gal/tire calc. as I am not sure how thick the tire is. I took off an inch, but I may still be high.

/ Home made Rimgard? #12  
I hear there are setups that you can get out there to fill your own tires. If you do, fill it so that the whole rim inside the tire is just covered. This way you have enough squish in the tire for when you run over a rock or hit a rut and the rim is not exposed to the air in the tire. Oh, and if you have the dealer fill your tires for you when you buy a brand new tractor, the $ should be about $0.60/gal. This, I think, is an at cost price, and they only do it with new purchases.

View attachment 296589

Edit: Price Correction - I meant to say the at cost price should be about $1.60/gal. My dealer said he put about 50 gal in per tire and that both tires would cost me $150. My tires are 420/70-24.

I put a price correction in my response in post #8. Sorry for the confusion.

/ Home made Rimgard? #13  
The fluid is likely what they get after they extract the sugar from the beets, its like a mollases juice type stuff and thats probably what they are selling, there should be no sugar in the fluid as thats the whole point of growing the beets. RV antifreeze shouldnt be toxic to pets if you choose to use it.

We have rimgaurd and it is a dark brown watery mixture.

/ Home made Rimgard? #14  
Attached is a comparison chart from another site. The environmental and safety advantages of beet juice are what steered me to it. However, you need quality valve stems or beet juice will make them fail after a year. There are threads on that.

Attachments

• TireBallastComparison.pdf
    230.1 KB · Views: 329
   / Home made Rimgard?
The fluid is likely what they get after they extract the sugar from the beets, its like a mollases juice type stuff and thats probably what they are selling, there should be no sugar in the fluid as thats the whole point of growing the beets. RV antifreeze shouldnt be toxic to pets if you choose to use it.

We have rimgaurd and it is a dark brown watery mixture.

So I looked up the process for making sugar from beets. After most of the sugar is removed(not all is removed) you end up with beet molasses. Interestingly this molassess is dark brown and is soluable with warm or cold water. OK, so now we have the color that is the same or similar to the rimgaurd product you described. Beet juice weighs 30% more then water. OK, water is 8lbs per gallon and beet mollasses weights 10.5lbs per gallon. 8lbs + 30% gives you 10.4lbs per gallon. I think we have a winner. Its said farm co-ops sometimes sell by the gallon, bring your own container. They as well as farmers use it to flavor various foods for livestock.

/ Home made Rimgard? #17  
Why can't you just add something heavy like sand. It's not like you are driving on the highway and need the tires perfectly balanced.
Sand is abrasive, wet or dry. While mobile in a water slurry it wouldnt be too bad, but would grind both tire and rim constantly and would also sap power due to friction. It would settle out virtually instantly when you stop and give a problem starting back up. ... Dry would be worse. A real bad choice all around.
larry

/ Home made Rimgard? #18  
One reason not to use antifreeze is the danger to pets if a tire develops a leak.

Propylene glycol is pet safe antifreeze. Ethylene glycol would be bad for animals if a major leak occurred so as to have standing water mixture. Have to be a pretty bad leak for that to happen.

/ Home made Rimgard? #19  
Why can't you just add something heavy like sand. It's not like you are driving on the highway and need the tires perfectly balanced.
Best way to use sand on a tractor tire would be to mix it with some cement and rock and cast yourself a wheel weight. Any other uses would be ill advised for many reasons-abrasion to the tire and rim, vibration, assuming you could some how get the tire completely filled with sand so it wouldnt be sliding around and around, it would be like riding an old steel rim tire with absolutely no rebound from rough terrain.