Home made Rimgard?

/ Home made Rimgard? #1  

Kenn1320

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS2030H
I emailed a local dealer and they want $105 for Rimgard for (2) 33x12x16.5 subcompact tires and another $50 to pump it in(I bring them the tires). Rimgard is called beet juice and sugar is made from beets among other things. I just looked and a 25lb bag of sugar at walmart is $14. What could the possible difference be between Rimgard and mixing a few bags of sugar with water? I googled sugar and water and adding it does raise its freezing point. Are we being duped here, or is there a possibility that Rimgard has something added to keep the sugar in suspension? How do you determine the gallons needed(just do the math and subtract 10% or something)? Rimgard is 30% heavier then water, so 8lbs for water plus 30% is 2.4lbs of sugar added.

/ Home made Rimgard? #2  
According to the Rimgard website, It is made from a byproduct of the sugar beet processing. So, I would think that
The majority of the sugar has been removed. This is most likely in my thinking that it is the resulting fluid after
they have removed the sugar. www.rimguard.biz

Tom

/ Home made Rimgard? #3  
I emailed a local dealer and they want $105 for Rimgard for (2) 33x12x16.5 subcompact tires and another $50 to pump it in(I bring them the tires). Rimgard is called beet juice and sugar is made from beets among other things. I just looked and a 25lb bag of sugar at walmart is $14. What could the possible difference be between Rimgard and mixing a few bags of sugar with water? I googled sugar and water and adding it does raise its freezing point. Are we being duped here, or is there a possibility that Rimgard has something added to keep the sugar in suspension? How do you determine the gallons needed(just do the math and subtract 10% or something)? Rimgard is 30% heavier then water, so 8lbs for water plus 30% is 2.4lbs of sugar added.

why bother ? rv antifreeze is $3.99 a gallon and good to -50 mix with water and be done with it .

/ Home made Rimgard? #4  
It would be simple enough to check. Mix up a pint of water with .3 pounds of sugar and set it in the freezer or just set it outside if it is cold enough. See if it freezes. I did read that sugar does ****** ice crystal growth. Likely the major cost of rimgard if packaging and transport fees plus low demand = high price = rip off price for a waste product that normally would be going into cattle feed

/ Home made Rimgard? #5  
why bother ? rv antifreeze is $3.99 a gallon and good to -50 mix with water and be done with it .
If you can get -20 WSWF for $2 per gallon vs pure antifreeze @$8 which is cheapest I have found off brand, then unless you can use it at 4 to 1 ratio, it is cheaper to buy the washer fluid. To get -50 protection with antifreeze you have to mix 50/50 ratio so that would be $4 per gallon cost to install. If one could find a place that sells methanol by the drum one could mix it themselves and save even more. WSWF is not pure methanol and I found this info on internet.

+20 F Washer Fluid - Contains approximately 7% methanol.

0 F Washer Fluid - Contains approximately 23% methanol.

-10 F Washer Fluid - Contains approximately 28% methanol.

-20 F Washer Fluid - Contains approximately 35% methanol.

-25 F Washer Fluid - Contains approximately 38% methanol.

-50 F Washer Fluid - Contains approximately 62% methanol.

/ Home made Rimgard? #6  
Why can't you just add something heavy like sand. It's not like you are driving on the highway and need the tires perfectly balanced.

/ Home made Rimgard? #7  
One reason not to use antifreeze is the danger to pets if a tire develops a leak.

/ Home made Rimgard? #8  
I hear there are setups that you can get out there to fill your own tires. If you do, fill it so that the whole rim inside the tire is just covered. This way you have enough squish in the tire for when you run over a rock or hit a rut and the rim is not exposed to the air in the tire. Oh, and if you have the dealer fill your tires for you when you buy a brand new tractor, the $ should be about $0.60/gal. This, I think, is an at cost price, and they only do it with new purchases.

Tire Loading.jpg

Edit: Price Correction - I meant to say the at cost price should be about $1.60/gal. My dealer said he put about 50 gal in per tire and that both tires would cost me $150. My tires are 420/70-24.

Last edited:
   / Home made Rimgard?

Assuming Rim guard is $3 a gallon based on the searching Ive done on the net, there is no reason to put in a lighter more expensive alternative like Rv antifreeze. I did a search on the Rv stuff and its good to -50 and ready to pour in at $4.89 a gallon locally here. You could dilute it some as there is no need for -50 where I live, but Im not sure of the rate of dilution without seeing a label.

/ Home made Rimgard?
I hear there are setups that you can get out there to fill your own tires. If you do, fill it so that the whole rim inside the tire is just covered. This way you have enough squish in the tire for when you run over a rock or hit a rut and the rim is not exposed to the air in the tire. Oh, and if you have the dealer fill your tires for you when you buy a brand new tractor, the $ should be about $0.60/gal. This, I think, is an at cost price, and they only do it with new purchases.

View attachment 296589

Good info PhilY, seems easy enough to rotate the tire so the valve stem is slightly above the rim, say 10 oclock and just fill till its full. I checked with 2 tractor dealers, neither does their own filling and 1 of them only uses Calcium Chloride. Ive seen 2 different methods for filling on your own that I have the quipment laying around to do it. One is using a portable air tank and removing the plug and filling with the solution and then pressurising it with air. The faster method is an automotive electric fuel pump submerged in a bucket of your solution. The first method said it can take hours, where as the fuel pump was emptying a 2 gallon bucket within seconds. Do a youtube search, plenty of them out there. I think with either method its important to only put in so much at a time and then burp the system or your going to be compressing the air in the tire which makes it harder to pump in your solution.