Why not ROPS CAGE options?

/ Why not ROPS CAGE options? #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
In another thread, Egon commented:

<font color="blue">

I fully agree on ROPS and seat belts. My idea of a ROPS is a cage for full protection like is seen on large yellow construction equipment. The single bar type will work well as long as the tractor is not operating in trees or areas where there are many large rocks....

Egon </font>

Are roll cages unhear of for compact tractors? I sometimes think I would like to have some kind of cage when I am working on a hillside with trees...

Aside from making one myself, is there some kind of kit available out there somewhere?

Anyone built one for themselves?

This curious mind wants to know... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Why not ROPS CAGE options? #2  
Bill,

That is a question I have asked over the years myself. I have a Kubota B21, which has a FOPS (falling object protective system) because of its commercial applications. I believe it is OSHA required on many sites so I would guess that is why Kubota uses them on the B21, L35 and L48 TLB's. The FOPS is part of the reason I bought a B21 for the mountain terrain I intended to use it on. Something about that 4 point roll bar and heavily reinforced canopy made me feel safer on the hills and in the woods.

I have never seen or heard of anyone offering an after market conversion for the single bar ROPS systems. You do see tractors that do heavy rotary mowing that have been armored for the conditions they operate in including a cage canopy combination.

MarkV

/ Why not ROPS CAGE options? #3  
I've wondered the same thing. When I'm in heavy woods I really worry about a broken branch falling on my head. I would spend a good chunk of change for a FOPS on my JD 4310.

/ Why not ROPS CAGE options? #4  
Though it won't protect you from a huge limb, I feel pretty safe under my diamondplate / angle/box iron canopy installed on my 1920 rops by the dealership.

I've stood on top of mine without it bowing... I feel that it would stop 4" limbs and such.. but not like tree trunks falling across the tractor, etc..

I'm eyeing a used larger kubota at a used tractor place.. has a nice looking FOPS.. very open.. nace and roomy operators platform.

My other option is a nice beefy ford 8000 I've been looking at as well... just a rops.. but the uprights are bigger around than my leg... and well.. you are way up there towards the tops of the trees anyway...

one day....

Soundguy.

/ Why not ROPS CAGE options? #5  
I'm not as concerned with something falling on my head as I am with something (like a log) coming off my bucket, across my hood and into my lap. Another thing a four point ROPS would do would be to increase your 'safe zone' in a rollover.

Now it's only the area from the top of your ROPS angled down to whatever is going to be the front item that doesn't crush in a rollover (possibly your grill guard). If your head is thrown forward in a rollover there's still significant likelihood of your skull contacting the ground. With the cages system that would be virtually eliminated.

/ Why not ROPS CAGE options?
Gary and all,

Right or wrong...I keep getting this vision of a worst case roll over right next to a tree.

The tree slides down the rops on my side...I am belted in as recommended...I can't move out of the way...squish...I guess that is how you spell it.

For a normal roll over on ground without trees...the standard rops would be fine in my guesstimation...but we have trees and slopes...This potential for harm when belted in just bothers me...may make no sense whatsoever...my mind says it is a danger...

I'm not so worried about dead wood falling from above, but that is really a concern too...maybe a greater concern in reality than a roll over against a tree.

I better get back to welding practice and make something happen.

It would be nice if the manufacturers offered an option to change a rops to a fops...I hope I got the fops right...can't view the thread now as I type this... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Why not ROPS CAGE options? #7  
I had the same question shortly after getting my B7500. I called Carver's and he said he could adapt the full cage from the B21 to fit my rig. He was going to swap out my standard Rop for the tall one and use the rest of the pieces from the B21. The price was $1130 for everything to be done at Carver's. I still have the reply with the figures and what he would do if anyone is interested...let me know. I didn't end up doing it as we felt the rumblings of a layoff coming....and it did. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jeff

/ Why not ROPS CAGE options? #8  
isnt the ROPS soposed to stop a rollover , not pertect you in one? seems that the tall design of the ROPS would stop a tractor from complete rolling over. that way at worst you break an arm and not your head, which would happen anyway to you tall guys.

/ Why not ROPS CAGE options? #9  
Unless you were on a slope and rolled over into a tree. Tractor only goes on its side but the driver is still crushed by the tree while held firmly in the seat.

Jeff

/ Why not ROPS CAGE options? #10  
good point. i dont have slopes like that, so i dont think about it.