Y'all never told me how much FUN a rotary cutter is

/ Y'all never told me how much FUN a rotary cutter is #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
Y\'all never told me how much FUN a rotary cutter is

Just picked up my new Woods Brush Bull 48. Bought it to cut the fields at my parent's new "farm" in Maine.

Of course I had to take her for a spin when I got home - So out to the woods to clean up the "trails". What a trip - If I could drive over it, the cutter chewed it right up. Neighbor hasn't cut her lawn all season - mower is broken. I went over and volunteered to knock it down for her. She was thrilled. I did a little tonight, but then it got dark. I'll Finish it up tomorrow.

And I thought the FEL was fun - maybe my tractoritis was suffering from a lack of new implements. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif This thing really gives me a sense of how much power is hidden within my little TC18. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sorry - no pics, the wife & I have actually begun to shop for a camara so I can document my tractor adventures.

/ Y'all never told me how much FUN a rotary cutter is #2  
Re: Y\'all never told me how much FUN a rotary cutter is

I'll add this - nothing's more beautiful than seeing the reclaimed acreage after you knock down the bushes and cut the grass. Then if you're lucky enough to have a spot of rain, the grass comes back so green and lush! Absolutely stunning! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Y'all never told me how much FUN a rotary cutter is #3  

Now you'll need a grader blade, and a disk, and a harrow, and a plow and a .... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Y'all never told me how much FUN a rotary cutter is #4  

I agree! I love the look of a new trail through the woods in an area I haven't been to before. Every weekend I bring my wife to the land and we ride the ATV's on the new trails I've cut.

It's a treat I give myself when I'm too tired to work, or it's just to darn hot out. I can always cut a new trail through the woods.

/ Y'all never told me how much FUN a rotary cutter is #5  

I posted about how much I loved my Bush Hog rotary cutter back in April of '02.

To quote myself:
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I got to use my rotary cutter for the second time today and it was just beautiful.)</font>

So did you use any advice from this thread or did you come up with something better on your own?

Congratulations on your new cutter.

/ Y'all never told me how much FUN a rotary cutter is

Spencer,

I musta missed that thread - It's hard to keep up sometimes.

It didn't take much of any convincing of my wife to get the cutter. My dad payed for it /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif along with the new 16' trailer /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. The cutter is for mowing the fields at their new farm in Maine. The wife's only concern was if I was going to have time to mow the 8 acre field 3X a year. I figure I'll be sharing the task with my pops - Our house is on his way to the "farm".

An update on the "spender/saver" conflict - We just had our 1st anniversary. It's still the only real source of conflict in our marriage. I just bought a new computer for home to replace the 5 year old one that was crashing daily. Even though I'd give our finances a grade of A- we are saving for the future & we pay all our bills on time, I had to go thru a month long "approval" process for a $680 purchase. Part of the conflict is I'm more of an "action man" - Ie go out & do it, while she likes to think things over for a while & get used to the idea.

After that I decided we needed to do something to reconcile our different attitudes about money. After searching around the net a bit & reading some articles, I bought a book "Smart Couples Finish Rich". It has a couple chapters on why couples fight over money & a couple on how to save for your future together.

A couple of common themes in all the proffessional advice I saw were: 1. Have a weekly financial meeting - keeps both parties up to date on spending/saving. I'm the billpayer in the house, so she doesn't know 100% "where all the money goes". 2. Try to understand each others values and goals regarding money. 3. Have seperate accounts. Need to have her money, his money & our money. Our money pays for common expenses - house, groceries, utilities etc. Her money buys (or saves) what she wants, w/o his approval and vice versa.

So far we've implemented #1. Regarding #2 I understand that she values saving money, but she is unable to articulate her goals for that saved money - she is going to give it some thought before our next meeting. We've discussed #3, but haven't yet implemented it - need to figure out what an appropriate monthly budget is. I feel we should each get a significant portion of our discretionary money (what's left over after all the necessary bills are paid).

I think we're making progress - wish me luck.

/ Y'all never told me how much FUN a rotary cutter is #7  

Ahhh YES! I *must* share your joy and steal your thread. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
For I to have seen the way of the cutter. It sat as attention was turned to FEL and Blade work. But just a week or two we hooked it back up, and to the back forty we went.

I carefully read all replies to "cutter" type posts and whatnot, BEFORE I did anything.

I quickly found out that I could "mow" up-hill in reverse with a much higher degree of comfort than thought. So down and up I went.

After observing (being quite pleased with the results) I turned my efforts into "reclaim" mode.

I must say that was yet *another* positive experience as without effort "mother nature" was pushed back for more trail/gate room.

Ahhh, what fun! But alas, once "mowed", it will be quite some time before it "grows" up to "hog" stage.

Be Safe!
-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Y'all never told me how much FUN a rotary cutter is #8  

Congrats on the first anniversary. My wife and I married as teenagers - she 17 and me the old fart at 18. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif We must have the process down pretty good because this December will be 29 years!

About 3 years ago I opened a second checking account for my business. It has become "my checking" account. Her income pays the monthly bills that are not related to the business, and I pick up the car payment, insurance, tractor, land, and business bills. This leaves each of us with money for the month that we spend or save for whatever we want. I wish I had done this early on as it works out GREAT! We never have money "fights" anymore and there always seems to be extra laying around. I need to add that we do save each month by placing a predetermined amount of money into our 401K plans and CDs. That comes out BEFORE we spend the rest. I think most financial advisers call this "paying yourself first". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Y'all never told me how much FUN a rotary cutter is #9  

I'll have to agree with you on using a rotary cutter. Love the spin up and the hum that follows. My wife thinks I'm nuts because I keep opening new places in the woodlot. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif My excuse is when the boys are big enough they'll have a place to mountain bike or four wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course she never believes me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif When I retired I told my wife I would like a certain amount of my retirement a month. I use it for what I want to buy. It's not alot but I saved for a year and I'll be building a 10x12 sugar shouse next month. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Never let money come between you. We have a quick update of the finances at the end of every month. It works great!!!
Have fun with that rotary cutter.

/ Y'all never told me how much FUN a rotary cutter is #10  

Well Hazmat...I've got 14 years of marriage on you and although that's not record breaking, It is a milestone in today's world. Most of my friends are on their second marriage already !!!! Some their third /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

In terms of money and marriage, the most important thing in my opinion is knowing up front that it will be an issue. There will be good times and bad times. If you want to stress things....quit your job, start your own business, and be self-employeed. The volitile cash flow makes for some fun.

As they say, you need to take the bad with the good....you learn not to be worry about buying lunch with the dimes and quarters out of the ashtray...you just feel good that there still is some change in the ashtray !! Then a few days later, you're back on top !!! Life goes on.