Ditching my tractor for a skid steer

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #31  
We just recently purchased a JD 328D skid steer after owning only a JD 1530 with FEL. I use my skid steer FAR more than my tractor now. The tractor is kept around for spreading manure, arena dragging, brushhogging, etc. My skid steer is used daily for a ton of uses from wood cutting to grading. I can see SO much better from the cab of my skid steer for grading and the controls are far superior. I do love having them both around though, but if I had to choose, I'd keep the skid steer. Thankfully the tractor is paid for and doesn't hurt anything to sit around. The big drawback is that the attachments are not interchangeable. I have pallet forks, a bale spear, and a bucket for the skid steer. For my tractor I have a bucket, pallet forks, a harley rake, a 3 point harrow, 3 point post hole digger, rototiller, and a pull behind finish mower (an oversized mower deck pretty much). Since we started with just the tractor, we spent a lot of money on attachments for that and now cannot justify spending far more for the same attachment for the skid steer. Ex. a post hole digger for my tractor was about $300, one for my skid steer is around $3,000. OUCH!

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #32  
not many homeowners can justify a machine that large, and that costs that much; much less one that costs ALOT extra for the ability to have steerable axles. the steerable axles and associated electronics are also quite problematic. i am a factory trained bobcat tech. id take a small wheel loader for *this application* long before a skid steer

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #33  
not many homeowners can justify a machine that large, and that costs that much; much less one that costs ALOT extra for the ability to have steerable axles. the steerable axles and associated electronics are also quite problematic. i am a factory trained bobcat tech. id take a small wheel loader for *this application* long before a skid steer

You didn't specify, but I believe you're referring to the A300? Could you tell us more about the problems you've seen? The four wheel steer function looks like it would be perfect for a lot of tasks (IE...big time lifting performance, compact size and best of all, no wheel or track skidding.) I had the chance to run one for a couple of days and really liked the performance, but if its a problem child...no thanks.

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #34  
I have 20 acres and use a ASV rc100 tracked skid steer, a Bobcat 341 excavator and a JD 450 dozer. Love them all but would never be without a tracked skidsteer. You can do anything with it. You are on the right track with your thinking.

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #35  
Here is a link to the Cat compact wheel loaders with pics and specs, seems to be several of the earlier 902 wheel loaders on machinerytrader.com. i have considered both the kubota 520 and the Cat 902 compact wheel loaders for my work and really need something that can move a full pallet of paver brick without tearing up a lawn too bad. A pallet of bricks runs around 3,400 lbs on average, don't know what your exact needs are.

http://www.holtcat.com/pdf/digit/902, 906 & 908 Compact Wheel Loader.pdf

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #36  
I guess I am lucky in that I have both a farm tractor and a skid steer. I bought the tractor (NH TN70D) first to use in my business. It worked pretty well but was hard to maneuver around some of the tight places where I work. Also the lack of visibility of the bucket and pallet forks was a problem. I used the tractor on my jobsites for several years and other than the issues mentioned above it worked quite well. Several years ago, I rented a skid steer to move some dirt on a jobsite. It was pretty windy, cold and with the open cab I ate a lot of dirt on that job:mad:. I swore that I would never use a skid steer again. Fast forward a few years, against my better judgment, I bought a NH LX565 skid steer for use on the jobsites:shocked:. Since then, I have owned a LS170 and now own a L190. The new (to me) one has an enclosed cab with AC and heat. It also has a hydraulic quick attach plate so I can change implements without having to dismount the machine. I think the newer ones even have cup holders:D.

To cut to the chase, for me, the skid steer works much better on the jobsite. It will lift a load similar to what the tractor will, and is much easier to maneuver in tight places. Also I can see the fork tips and bucket lip from the operators seat. My tractor has been relegated to mostly mowing duties and some backhoe work with the 3ph backhoe attachment.

All of that said, if I could only have one, I would let the skid steer go and keep the tractor.

Tim

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #37  
I think all in all the skid steers are more duty specific, but where they fit the need they really are nice.

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #38  
I think all in all the skid steers are more duty specific, but where they fit the need they really are nice.

In my opinion I have used both and personally own a Tractor Loader backhoe. I just get the feeling that right out of the womb we were born either Tractor guys or Skid Steer guys. I dont know it's something with the brain of controls or something. I personally like my Tractor although had to change the machine to a better machine for lifting capacity and longevity. I switched from a New Holland TC35 to a Yanmar CBL40 much more lifting capacity and the back hoe is very strong. I can switch over easily to anything just like anyone else can if you set it up with quick attach. Give it some thought and try them both out, I know for me I dont want to spend alot of money unless I KNOW for sure, so do your best to try them all out and change things over with them and use them all, YOU WILL MOST LIKELY KNOW RIGHT AWAY IF YOU ARE TRACTOR OR SKIDSTEER GUY.

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #40  
The first thing you need to consider is the capacity of the skid steer. They have 2 ratings. The one most people look at is the tipping load. That is when the skid steer is going to tip over. What you need to know is the ROC ( rated operating capacity) this will be at best 50% of the tipping load on a wheel skid steer and only 33% on a track model. From that you need to deduct the weight of the attachment or forks. Make sure the attachment ( forks) are fastened securely.
Also remember all of these ratings are based on a 24" load center. That is the assumption is you are picking up a pallet that is 48" by 48" square and the load is no higher than 48"
Secondly operating the skid steer. They are hydrostatic. every action has an immediate direct reaction. They are not like driving a tractor with a transmission
Operate the engine throttle about 3/4 open and then VERY carefully and slowly operate the controls. If the engine speed is too low the oil flow for the hydrostatic is too small and the machine will jump around. Also you will have no digging or pushing power.
ALWAYS wear your seat belt. If you hit something or the machine stops fast and you do not have your seat belt properly fastened you could be headed out of the operator compartment or into the cab window.
ALWAYS keep your heavy end uphil. That is no load only a bucket or forks back up the hill. If the attachment and load is the heavy end then drive up the hill and vice versa.
I have done operator training for major equipment manufacturers for several years, take time to review also check with the manufacturer's website for the applicable operator safety video before operating the machine. They are a fantastic piece of equipment. They might be small but they are powerful.
My suggestion: if you are wondering about whether a skid steer is the correct machine - go to a local rental company and rent one to try out. It might cost a few $ but is a lot cheaper than buying one and then finding out it is not the machine for the job.