Hydro in Wintertime

/ Hydro in Wintertime #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
Do hydraulics slow way down when exposed to bitter cold?

If so, is this a good reason not to get a hydraulic transmission, or do you hope the equipment and attachments eventually warms up /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif?

Thanks

Yooper Dave

/ Hydro in Wintertime #2  
I use one of my tractors with a snowblower and never had a problem. I suppose it might thinken up some, but not enough to notice a problem, at least not with my equipment.

Diesel gelling is an issue where I live. Especially when the temps drop to the single digets or below. Some people thin the fuel with kero, I add a commercial diesel anti-gel that we use in our truck fleet's fuel tanks.

/ Hydro in Wintertime #3  
No it is not a good reason not to get HST. You basically just let the tractor warm up a bit which you'd want to do for the diesel anyway. You can put the trans in neutral and just run the hydro a bit with no load to help it warm up(for like a minute or two) then use as normal. This is really only a "problem" when its really cold out and the tractor is stored outside. I'm in WI too and never had a problem wit it being too cold.

/ Hydro in Wintertime #4  
I know that in my truck if it is around 0-+ degrees I need the cold front on or when I am not on the highway the transmission will run so cool that it will not shift out of first until the RPMs really climb. As long as I have something blocking some airflow over the radiator/tranny cooler I am fine.

/ Hydro in Wintertime #5  
My L3010HST works just fine in the winter months even at 30 below. I use a block heater and let her warm up, but once warm I notice no difference in performance.

Pete

/ Hydro in Wintertime #6  
F350Lawman.
FYI, the Ford 4R100 is programmed to extend shift points and prevents the converter from locking up until the transmission has reached minimum operating temp. This is done to aid in warming the fluid temp when in cold climates.

/ Hydro in Wintertime #7  
Yeah, but at one point last year it would redline in first and stay there. I'm all for warming up but driving home at 30mph with the truck screaming was a little much. Once I put the cold front on the truck ran fine. It would tend to happen when I would get off the highway on the way home and stop for fuel(motor on or off it still cooled). The truck would cool and then it would be like that for the several mile ride home.

I guess if I continued on it would eventually warm up but the cold front was much easier on the truck and my nerves. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Hydro in Wintertime #8  
they will thicken up a bit. i usually start the tractor and let it warm up for at leat 10 min, then cycle the hydraulics with no real load. have never had a problem.

/ Hydro in Wintertime #9  
F350Lawman,
That seems odd to me. Mine has never done that and I've driven in very cold temps here in WI(-10 degrees, -60 windchill). Mine is a 99.5, what year is your's? Maybe you need the trans reprogrammed.