Close Call Today

/ Close Call Today #12  
I'm glad your not telling us this from a hospital bed. Thank you for the reminder.

/ Close Call Today #13  
Glad you're ok. Thanks for having the forthought to post this. I always set my brake but last month I remember a time I didn't. Nothing happened but that isn't the point.
Sometimes when I exit the cab the door handle can catch my left jacket pocket. This makes me think what could happen if I left the throttle up, gear selector engaged and somehow hit the shuttle lever exiting the cab...
Lazy + Uncautious = Mishap

/ Close Call Today #14  
Bad enough that this happens, but you gotta be careful that you don't get run over by the front wheel or hit by the blade. The damage to the tractor or anything it hits is nothing compared to what it could do to you!

This is what I was thinking. As hard as it is, let it go. All it takes is a slip getting into the tractor and you get run over. Hind sight being 20-20 I know. Its instinct to be the hero, but not necessarily the right thing to do.

Glad it all worked out!!

/ Close Call Today #15  
When I dismount out of my cab I often hit the range select lever out of B into neutral. Not a problem if the gear shift on the right is in park where it belongs. Funny that they can put a good solid park position in a manual shift tractor but they don't seem to be able to do that for a manual pick up truck or car.

/ Close Call Today #16  
Does your tractor not cut off if the brake isnt applied? Mine will shut down if the gear selector isnt in N and the parking brake is on, sorta like a little garden tractor.

/ Close Call Today #17  
Does your tractor not cut off if the brake isnt applied? Mine will shut down if the gear selector isnt in N and the parking brake is on, sorta like a little garden tractor.

There is no parking brake on this tractor or a way to lock the brakes on with a foot not present. I think the only seat nanny I have is the PTO which will Buzz if there isn't something in the seat. It will start with the clutch engaged as long as it is in park and the throttle is above low idle. This is a very no nonsense machine set up to work.

/ Close Call Today #18  
I had my old Yanmar take off down a small hill once. It had blown a FEL hose, so I lowered the FEL, left the tractor in gear and killed the engine. I got out my wrenches, removed the hose and was walking away when I heard the tractor start to move, just a couple of little creaks in the tranny at first then away it went. As I watched the tractor started slowly to roll backward and ended up rolling all the way to the bottom of the hill. What I didnt know about the hydraulic clutch (it had a powershift transmission) was that the hydraulic pressure would bleed off after a few minutes with the engine off and then it disengaged so it was then like it was clutched. You also couldnt pull start it due to this issue as I discovered later. Luckily for me, there was nothing in the way so I just let it roll to a stop about 60 feet away. From then on, I tilted the FEL blade down and set it with the wheels off the ground when I stopped if not on level ground. It did have brake locks but the lever was a bit hard for me to reach to release it while pushing the brakes so it didnt get used much.

/ Close Call Today #19  
This reminds me of one time I was clearing snow at a friend's house. There's a gate with an electric fence wire across the opening, which I wanted to go through. Got off the tractor, idling in neutral, and no brake on. The ground is pretty flat, but apparently not zero grade.. just as I was reaching for the handle on the electric wire I felt the edge of the bucket (waist height) press into my back and push me into the wire! I don't know exactly how many volts the **** fencer puts out, but it's no wonder the horses don't mess with it. After getting that across the chest for about 5 pulses, I always drop the bucket and quite often set the brake now.

That's with a geared transmission, I'd be more cautious with an HST tractor.

Sean

/ Close Call Today #20  
This reminds me of one time I was clearing snow at a friend's house. There's a gate with an electric fence wire across the opening, which I wanted to go through. Got off the tractor, idling in neutral, and no brake on. The ground is pretty flat, but apparently not zero grade.. just as I was reaching for the handle on the electric wire I felt the edge of the bucket (waist height) press into my back and push me into the wire! I don't know exactly how many volts the **** fencer puts out, but it's no wonder the horses don't mess with it. After getting that across the chest for about 5 pulses, I always drop the bucket and quite often set the brake now.

That's with a geared transmission, I'd be more cautious with an HST tractor.

Sean

LOL, I accidently bumped my electric fence shoveling near it and thought I was going to die. Fell to the ground and flopped around like a fish.The strange thing is my daughter will grab a hold of the wire a let it shock her over and over and not even phase her.