Close Call Today

/ Close Call Today #1  

r40kh

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
We had our first significant snowfall overnight and I have several driveways to plow. Drove into this retired lady's driveway and dropped the blade to back drag the snow when I noticed her daily
newspaer was layng in the snow and not in her paper box. I put the tranny in neutral ( hydro shuttle M7040) and walked out to pick up her paper. It took about 15 sec and when I turned around the
tractor is going backwards across the highway. I ran and was able to get inside and stop the tractor before any damage. I checked the shuttle lever and it was in the reverse position. I don't
know why it took 15 sec to engage but I must have missed neutral and somehow the tranny was able to get into reverse. I know I should have engaged the brake but I was on a level surface with the blade down
with a bunch of snow behind it. What saved me was that I left the door open when I got out so I was able to jump in the tractor without having to reach for the door latch. Just wanted to share as a heads up
for everyone to show how easy something like this could happen. Scared the crap out of me!

/ Close Call Today #2  
Bad enough that this happens, but you gotta be careful that you don't get run over by the front wheel or hit by the blade. The damage to the tractor or anything it hits is nothing compared to what it could do to you!

/ Close Call Today #3  
Whew..that was close,also good thing throttle down.

/ Close Call Today
The fact that I'm pushing 60 didn't make the old legs any faster either, anyway some bystanders had a good laugh and unfortunately I see them every day

/ Close Call Today #5  
The fact that I'm pushing 60 didn't make the old legs any faster either, anyway some bystanders had a good laugh and unfortunately I see them every day

A video of that would have been a Keepsake..:) I am glad you are OK, and thanks for posting..

James K0UA

/ Close Call Today #6  
Glad to hear you are ok.

And as a reminder to all, set the brakes when leaving the seat.

/ Close Call Today #7  
I have had something similar happen with my bobcat skid steer if the idle is to slow when I get out the whole machine can start shaking and rocking which has then knocked it into forward I am not brave enough to run after it and try to get in it (no side entry like tractor enter from front over the bucket) luckily it hit a tree and stopped

/ Close Call Today #8  
Scarey stuff alright, I try to remember to put the brake on in ours, but can't guarantee I have never forgotten, a good reminder indeed.

Last edited:
   / Close Call Today #9  
I had a similar incident I don't care to go into, rather say it never happened! LOL But now with age and I was never fast I let down both front and rear implements, actually lifting up the front end with the FEL when I have to exit the tractor. I try to be especially careful around the edge of the creek. Would hate to go swimming with the tractor.

Glad everything worked out with no damage to your or the tractor.

/ Close Call Today #10  
Near miss accident. Something we can all learn from.
Thanks for posting.