Tilt Meter

/ Tilt Meter #1  

pruntyc

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4110 HST
I finally did it, bought a Tilt Meter, and just got through putting it on, my tractor. So was wondering if any of you had a good idea at what angle like 20 or so degrees on it, that you are really in danger of a roll over? I have a Yanmar, YM1700, with bush hog behind. I use it for other things but not on the steep slopes, like I do with the bush hog. I know a lot of things inter in to roll over like a hole or stump, etc. but I am speaking about generally what is dangerous in degrees. I don't want to get hurt, but I need to get the work done also. I havn't had a tractor very long, we used mules when I was a kid, they don't compare, very well. Thanks for your answers.

/ Tilt Meter #2  
Dick, Rick at R&B Mfg. could answer your question in more detail, but theoretically tractors are made to withstand 20 degrees, keeping in mind that we're talking about just the tractor, no implements that might change the center of gravity, no holes, stumps, etc. to run over, etc.. Personally, 18 degrees sideways is as far as I've gone, and anything over 15 degrees is very uncomfortable for me.

/ Tilt Meter #3  
Dick........I live on some hills here so perhaps I have pushed the R&B tilt meter as far as I care to. There is a federal rollover spec that is close to 25 degrees. Dont quote me on this but it came from a thread on here that I think John Miller III posted........for me, it gets really antsy and puckery above 15; but by accident I have bounced and stayed in the 25 a few times turning around at the top of a hill.
Dont know to attribute the stability to loaded tires, very slow speed, or probably God's GRACE. Anyway, I hope you got the dual axis meter. As you go up a hill it is easy to see the angle that you are gonna make your turn at. Gives you additional peace of mind.......Dennis

/ Tilt Meter
No I just got the single Tilt Meter, and I don't have loaded tires. And it was probably God's grace, from all they have said in the past about rollovers. I understand they happen so quick and without any warning sometimes. That is why I am asking to see what other people say that have used the meters

/ Tilt Meter #5  
Dick......Tractor Supply sells a little gizmo that one can hook to the garden hose and fill your tires. It has an air relief valve and several adapters. In MS I dont think you need to worry about a hard freeze and using any type of antifreeze solution.
Jack up the tractor tire, rotate it so that the valve stem is at 10 or so oclock and fill away. I believe that this simple thing will give you HUGE peace of mind. lololol.......not to diminish HIM; but HE did give Job a few tests. So why test HIS Grace......Dennis

/ Tilt Meter #6  
I wish they would offer the dual axis tiltmeter for sale here on TBN. I know I can go to the manufacturers website and buy it, but I feel like I am supporting the team by buying it from here....

So, when are they going to offer it in the TBN store????

Anthony

/ Tilt Meter #7  
Hi Guys,
Muhammad is working on putting the dual axis on TBN soon.

Thanks, Rick

/ Tilt Meter #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That is why I am asking to see what other people say that have used the meters )</font>

I have one on my new BX2200 and I get <font color="red"> very </font> uncomfortable anytime I approach 15. I'm probably very conservative (or maybe just chicken /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) but I stop and "back out" of whatever I'm doing at that point.

/ Tilt Meter #9  
<font color="blue"> I'm probably very conservative (or maybe just chicken ) </font>

Sounds like you're just plain smart to me... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Taking chances are better left to those young guys that bend rather than break... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hey for all I know you are one of them! Smart and bendable! Now that is a great combination!

/ Tilt Meter #10  
This is one area where I must admit my International 454 has it all over most any compact. It is a saddle type tractor meaning the floor area has a massive hump running down it. It lowers the center of gracity enough to a point that I don't know if I could ever roll it. I have attempted 45 degree slopes sideways but the tractor will not stick, it slides back down. Its good to about 30 to 35 degrees and even then slides unless my wheels are turrned up hill. It feels very safe once your accustom to slopes of this degree. I have even had it parked on the side of a steep hill, got off and tried to lift a little and found it would not even come close to lifting. I would be curious what a tilt meter from R&B would indicate as to the slopes this beast can handle, it is definitely far greater then the Kubota I have, but then, the Kubota is a much more fun to use and can easily go straight up the hills and down with no slippage when in 4WD. Rat.....