Making a logging road.. Geo material use?

/ Making a logging road.. Geo material use? #1  

Green Acres Homestead

Veteran Member
NewBrunswick & Nova Scotia www.lostcaper.com
Tractor
Kubota L4740 sold now have a new L2502 as off Jan 2023
Past years I have worked on sandy and gravel soils. No sinking no mud. Not the case now. It is a loam type soil and I sink evan when fairly dry. Some clay and lots of soft spots. I am falling smaller trees making a corduroy road. Using branches to travel on. I better get skid plate for my l4740. Anybody ever use geomaterial? Suppose to keep everything afloat and keep soil stable?

/ Making a logging road.. Geo material use? #2  
geo works great but it needs 6 inches of gravel or dirt over it to keep it in place , dont know if you have that available.

/ Making a logging road.. Geo material use? #3  
The way your doing it works and has for many years why waste time and money laying geo ? unless you plan on extreme long term heavy use ?

/ Making a logging road.. Geo material use? #4  
When I need a temporary road I just do what you are doing. If I want something more perminent I have used old RR ties which are often available free. They sell the best ones but there are plenty that are good enough for the taking away.

Attachments

• WetSpotBefore2.JPG
    WetSpotBefore2.JPG
    773.7 KB · Views: 332
  • TractorOnRd1.JPG
    TractorOnRd1.JPG
    697.7 KB · Views: 339
   / Making a logging road.. Geo material use? #5  
^ That's a lot of RR ties! I would not have thought they give them away free.
Will have to check locally as I have some spots that could use a bit of support!

/ Making a logging road.. Geo material use? #6  
Will have to check locally as I have some spots that could use a bit of support!

/ Making a logging road.. Geo material use? #7  

There is a rail yard close to where we are that has mountains and mountains of old ties that they have replaced. The good ones they sell to dealers for landscape timbers the not so good one just pile up. It is pretty rural here. The yard forman said he wasn't really supposed to allow me to take them but on the other hand it cost him (the RR) money to get rid of them. ( Probably why they let them pile up) So if I could use them go ahead and take them. They are heavy. You need more than a p/u truck if you want more than a few. I used about 50 in this seep hole that never freezes. I put some gravel in the spaces to keep them from rolling. My neighbor has a section of road built with ties that has been there 40 years and it is still solid.

Attachments

• WetSpotAfter1.JPG
    WetSpotAfter1.JPG
    693.8 KB · Views: 240
  • WinterCorduroy.JPG
    WinterCorduroy.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 237
   / Making a logging road.. Geo material use? #8  
As mentioned, what you are doing works great. One thing I might suggest doing, is on inclined grades, or on hillsides. Make the base of the road all cut. Not 1/2 cut, 1/2 fill. After many years of repairing roads that have slipped, using the 1/2 cut, 1/2 fill method, going with a solid base to start with is the way to go.

Definitely more work, but worth it...

/ Making a logging road.. Geo material use?
If I lay wood length ways in the tracks it saves on

Oops accidentally click button so to continue ...if I lay wood in tire tracks when I run over end of wood the other end can come up and hit the inside of tractor so I find I always have to make the final layer lay crossways on the road and stick must be 8 feet or more so or extends beyond the week tracks.