Somebody help out the new guy

/ Somebody help out the new guy #1  

chromecrow

Tractor
John Deere 755 2WD
I have a JD 755 compact tractor. It is 2WD with hydro trans. With the 60" MMM it will mow like nobodys business. I recently bought 57 acres of blackberry brairs and various other weeds. I also bought a 4 foot bush hog. This tractor does not like to be operated on hillsides when bush hogging. Does it need to be wider? heavier ? or traded in on a bigger tractor? Any advice is welcom and thanks, John.

/ Somebody help out the new guy #2  
you arent alone about the hill...........over in the safety forum there are lots of threads about hill safety..........good luck, go slow, load those tires, get a rop, wear your seat belt, get a dual axis degree meter, and do thank HIM for blessing you and taking care of YOU.........Dennis

/ Somebody help out the new guy #3  
chromecrow,
Your tractor is large enough to brush hog with that mower. The draw back to your tractor is that it is 2 wd. If you had 4wd, it would act entirely different on the hills.

/ Somebody help out the new guy #4  
My gray market Mitsubishi used to scare me when hauling logs for fire wood. I found one like it being parted out and bought the rear wheels. Had the local machinist make a spool and mounted them up. Haven't used 4wd since. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Somebody help out the new guy #5  
the weight of the tractor will make the biggest difference when brush hogging on the side of a hill.

/ Somebody help out the new guy #6  
WELCOME TO THE FORUM; would be easier to ans. your question if we had an idea of your total acerage, and other uses for the tractor.

/ Somebody help out the new guy #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This tractor does not like to be operated on hillsides when bush hogging. Does it need to be wider? heavier ? or traded in on a bigger tractor? Any advice is welcom and thanks, John.)</font>

I may have misunderstood what you are saying. Are you saying that the tractor doesn't stay on the steep places very well or are you saying that you are not comfortable driving it on steep places?

/ Somebody help out the new guy
Well heres the deal. There is a spot about two acres worth that is on a hill. The tractor will go up the hill no problem. It is when I turn to go up or turn to go down that the Pucker Factor? comes into play. Anyway my neighbor saw me fighting with it( he was also out mowing ) and said he would mow it for me. He has a Massey Ferguson 35, gas powered 2wd. He proceeded to do donuts and figure 8's all over this hill like it was nothing. So that got me to thinking what is it that causes his tractor to go better than mine? I can make it heavier by filling the tires. I could make some extensions for the rear wheels( they are 1 position) or a set of dual rear wheels to make it wider. I also have thought about different rear tires, I currently have 31-15.50-15 terra track tires. I know somebody out there has the answer. Thanks, John.

/ Somebody help out the new guy #9  
The problem is you're trying to do too much with too little tractor. 4wd makes three times the tractor. The MF 35 has a wider wheelbase, width, etc. It also has more hp.

/ Somebody help out the new guy #10  
Yikes... your rears are a one seting rim.. as in you can't reverse them for extra width?? I thought all manufactures provided people with this ability?!?!? I would think about another color other than green next time.. they are well expensive enough to have given you an option like that..

Soundguy