Strange noise

/ Strange noise #1  

dclynch

Silver Member
Tractor
Rhino International
I am hoping someone can tell me what to look for. I havent ran my tractor since fall and this past week end decided it was time to get my snow plow mounting bracket installed. I have a in hose heater to warm the block up and I let it run for a good 6 hours before I started the tractor. It started right up and ran fine. I drove it about 2 city blocks to my buddies garage as he has a welder. When I got there I left the tractor running and after a few minutes I could hear what sounded like a grinding noise it would only do it every 2 minutes or so. I pulled the inspection cover off the clutch and trnasmission but could not find where the noise is coming from. It didnt seem to do it while I was driving it at least I couldnt hear it. It almost sounded like the PTO shaft was hitting something. I had my rototiller still attached so I ran that a while and it didnt seem to make any noise then. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to check before something serious happens or do I just run it until it breaks.

/ Strange noise #2  
Is it a hydrostatic? If so, park it the same way but with the range selector in neutral. I forget which but a tractor I have / had would do something like that if parked with the tractor in gear and the brake on. Seemed like the pedal wasn't exactly centered ("off") and pressure built up.

/ Strange noise
No it is a 4 speed with HI and LO Range

/ Strange noise #4  
Just a thought, check any belt pulleys that are on the tractor, if there is play in one or it doesn't turn freely that could be the culprit.

/ Strange noise #5  
does your tiller have the clutch on the shaft that lets it spin on the pto shaft when it gets in bind and if you had it raised up the pto might have been turning but tiller shaft in a bind maby not but i have seen this happen there is not many brands that have the clutch i would take the tiller off completly and see if you here it

/ Strange noise #6  
When my JD 1530 is low on hydraulic oil it makes a vibratory/grinding sound. I would double check all fluids and make sure everything is at specifications.

/ Strange noise #7  
It could be the water pump going out, they make a grinding noise when they start to fail. Stop the engine and try to move the pulley on the water pump side to side. If it is loose, it could be going out. Sometimes they will start leaking prior to failing but not always.

/ Strange noise #8  
i guess the first question i should have ask you was where is the noise front middle rear so on

/ Strange noise #9  
It could be the water pump going out, they make a grinding noise when they start to fail. Stop the engine and try to move the pulley on the water pump side to side. If it is loose, it could be going out. Sometimes they will start leaking prior to failing but not always.

MY GEAR DRIVE L- KUBOTA SOUNDED LIKE THE HYDROLIC PUMP WAS BAD.IT WOULD SQUEAL AND GRIND THEN STOP A WHILE THEN START THE NOISE AGAIN. THE WATER PUMP WAS BAD (no leak) JUST REPLACED IT THIS WEEK.NO MORE NOISE!!!!

/ Strange noise
Thanks for all the tips I will tear into it this week end and see what I can come up with. I will let you all know waht I find.