Tractor grinding into 4wd

/ Tractor grinding into 4wd #1  

AroniaFarmer

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T603 52' Ford 8N
hi everyone, today I was driving my TYM T603 to a neighbors place to pick up a bale spear that I am borrowing. As I went from his paved driveway to his barn, on a slight incline, I had to stop to let a car go by, then when I tried to go forward the tractor started spinning on an ice patch and skidding towards a steep ditch...So as I panicked I pressed the 4wd button while the tires were in motion, but heard a sharp grinding sound for about 2 seconds before it engaged. If it wasn't for my reflexes it would have most likely rolled over when it started going into the ditch, I would have been safe because I was wearing my seatbelt and it has a cab, but would have made a mess out of my tractor, so I wondering what kind of damage I could have done internally saving myself from a lot of cosmetic work! Thank you for reading Have a great week!

/ Tractor grinding into 4wd #2  
could have chipped a gear I guess, but the limited traction would act to ease shock so probably not. ... I think quickly cycling the clutch simultaneously would have given a smooth engagement.
larry

/ Tractor grinding into 4wd #3  
Sounds like the gears raked as it went into 4WD.

/ Tractor grinding into 4wd #4  
I doubt if the damage is serious, maybe a few flakes of metal ground off, On my Kioti it has a electrically operated/hydraulic solenoid to make engagement, I am betting yours works about the same

/ Tractor grinding into 4wd #5  
It would be cool if they had a "auto 4WD" mode.

/ Tractor grinding into 4wd #7  
I would say that your tractor is just fine. Gears have to come together to engage the 4wd and since the speeds at which the fronts and rears were spinning were not sync'd, the tips of the teeth were bouncing across the top of each other. If it is working fine afterwards, it will continue to work just fine. At the worst the tops of the teeth took a little wear, but these are pretty heavy duty. So, no worries. If anything worse than this had happened then you would know.

/ Tractor grinding into 4wd #8  
yeah that will happen if you throw it into 4 wheel drive while the tires are spinning. I take it you dont have much experience with proper use of 4 wheel drive? Not being a wise *** just taking a wild guess. 4 wheel drive is to only be engaged while at a standstill or if all tires are rotating at same speed before hand. Dont worry though, i highly doubt you did any damage.

/ Tractor grinding into 4wd
Cigar Face said:
yeah that will happen if you throw it into 4 wheel drive while the tires are spinning. I take it you dont have much experience with proper use of 4 wheel drive? Not being a wise *** just taking a wild guess. 4 wheel drive is to only be engaged while at a standstill or if all tires are rotating at same speed before hand. Dont worry though, i highly doubt you did any damage.

I don't blame you. I only have 164 hours on the tractor since new. I guess that I like the tractor a little too much and don't want anything to happen to it. Still am wonderin if I really did wreck the engagement gears I did use it in 4wd to unload some 800 lb bales after I got home so I know that it is working properly Thanks for replying

/ Tractor grinding into 4wd #10  
I would say you got a lifes lesson cheap. If you think you may need 4wd put it in gear before you start. Just travelling ACROSS a paved road doesnt require you to shift from 4 wd to 2 wd. Also you learned that you need to clutch and be setting still to engage it. Hopefully there was no more damage than a little grinding of the gears which likely did some minor damage to the edges but nothing to hurt the operation.