Handling Filled Tires

/ Handling Filled Tires #31  
The Kubota tires, at least the 40 series, mount to the center disc differently.
View attachment 298098
A little different design from the LS but the same principle. Kubota has one bolt whereas my LS has two bolts holding the rim, plus the LS is solid all the way around the rim with the S turn in and out continuously rather than just a single little lug. Install the center hub on inside or outside of the connection on the tire rim to change track by 2" per side. Flip the rim to move 4+ " per side. Your's looks to be at max width now.

/ Handling Filled Tires #32  
The Kubota tires, at least the 40 series, mount to the center disc differently.
View attachment 298098
It is obvious from your photo that if the center disc were as they are in this photo, they were already flipped to cup outward. Most tractors are installed with the cup in and the tire installed as you now have yours depicted. THis is why most folks have to flip the center disc rather than remove the outside hub.
Trying to get that bolt back in the rim from the inside and put an nut on by yourself must have been a real bear, I know it was on my LS front tires when I had to swap the rim lugs from outside to inside and it was only loaded with air.
I just removed and replaced both tires on my Kubota B26 this morning looking at the hydraulic relief valve and strainer. It took about 2 minutes to remove the lug bolts using my Harbor Freight 3/4" impact, pull the tire, then 5 minutes of looking at the PRV and determining that I couldnt work on it with what I had then not more than 5 minutes to reposition and mount the tire. It is only a 12.4x16 R4 and not loaded but I didnt lift it, just rolled it and raised or lowered the tractor as needed to get the bolts aligned, tightened the nuts which snugged and centered the other lug bolts. Then tightened them with the impact and all done. Of course having the backhoe stabilizers made quick work of lifting and lowering.

/ Handling Filled Tires #33  
Yes definitely get a helper if you are the least bit in doubt . They are very heavy and if they decide to go you are not going to stop it . Make sure the floor is clean and dry . no slick spots or trip hazards .

/ Handling Filled Tires #34  
yep.. plan your path.. and have an escape route!

/ Handling Filled Tires #35  
It is obvious from your photo that if the center disc were as they are in this photo, they were already flipped to cup outward. Most tractors are installed with the cup in and the tire installed as you now have yours depicted. THis is why most folks have to flip the center disc rather than remove the outside hub.
Trying to get that bolt back in the rim from the inside and put an nut on by yourself must have been a real bear, I know it was on my LS front tires when I had to swap the rim lugs from outside to inside and it was only loaded with air.
I just removed and replaced both tires on my Kubota B26 this morning looking at the hydraulic relief valve and strainer. It took about 2 minutes to remove the lug bolts using my Harbor Freight 3/4" impact, pull the tire, then 5 minutes of looking at the PRV and determining that I couldnt work on it with what I had then not more than 5 minutes to reposition and mount the tire. It is only a 12.4x16 R4 and not loaded but I didnt lift it, just rolled it and raised or lowered the tractor as needed to get the bolts aligned, tightened the nuts which snugged and centered the other lug bolts. Then tightened them with the impact and all done. Of course having the backhoe stabilizers made quick work of lifting and lowering.

The Kubota manual has three positions for adjusting the width. The center discs can't be reversed without the tire rubbing on the inner fender. The inner most position has the tire with the valve stem facing in. The next position is having the valve stem facing out but the disc on the outside of the brackets on the wheel. This is slightly, maybe an inch wider, than the inner most position. I have my wheels set in the widest position (as seen in my picture), the valve stem facing out and the disc on the inside of the brackets. To go from the innermost to outer most position requires the wheels to be swapped side to side. To go from middle position to the outermost would require the center disc to be removed from the tractor and the wheel so it can be mounted to the inside. Simply looking at where the valve stem is, facing out or in, should tell you if the wheels are in the innermost or middle position. Mine were set to the innermost when I got it.

/ Handling Filled Tires
Well, I finally did it! Got my wife to help me move the tires and got them swapped side to side. I took the advice about taking off the disks with a grain of salt, and loosened the lug nuts and bolts just in case, but I tried removing the rims from the disks first. The tires were too heavy to slide, even with a pry bar, and wiggling them back and forth was going to take forever until the rim would clear the disk, so I put a couple rim bolts back in and removed the lug bolts and nuts. Using the bottle jack I could get the height just right to rock the wheel free. Then we carefully rolled the wheel back and forth until it cleared the hub and we could roll it clear. We then switched around the disk on the wheel, set it aside and attacked the other one the same way. Getting them back on went well, by raising and lowering the axle with the bottle jack until we got them hung on the lug studs, and we were home free!
Thanks again to all who offered suggestions and encouragement. I really wanted to do this myself, and I was 95 percent sure I could, but the weight of the tires made me think twice about it. Having it in the garage, with a smooth floor helped a lot. I wouldn't have wanted to be rolling those tires on rough ground.
Now to get some chains!

/ Handling Filled Tires #37  
I'm glad you had some help. As you well know now, they are a handful. Always best to be safe than sorry. - robert

Sent from my iPad iOS 6.01 - TNB v1.6

/ Handling Filled Tires #38  
glad you got help.

if nothing else.. it's someone to call 911 for you ( NO JOKE ).

i always tell my wife if I'm going out to work on something that could pin me..e tc.

/ Handling Filled Tires #39  
That's exactly one of the reason's I put this up in the new shop. Have my self spoiled with the one I put in my other shop, and not going backwards now. :)

I pulled the rears on my Massey 180, loaded 15.5 -38's, along with the spin-out rims, and center cast hubs all in one piece, one at a time, with a chain hoist on a trolley. Then rolled it away from the tractor, out of harm's way. Then brought another hoist on trolley in place to remove the axle housing. Oh soooo sweet.....!!
292385_4452886799743_1654767123_n.jpg

/ Handling Filled Tires #40  
nice shop!