Backhoe BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #151  
Here is mine. A Bradco 485. I have a 10" and an 18" bucket. Hopefully I will have a thumb before summer gets here.
View attachment 301456

Which thumb are you wanting to get? Looks like Bradco went cheap and do not install the articulated link mounts on the dipper stick anymore.
hugs, Brandi

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #152  
I havent found one yet. I have access to a machine shop and plasma cutter and was planning on designing my own. THere are brackets with holes already welded on the backhoe for the upper mount. I want to put a longer pin in the bucket mount for the lower mount and will design the thumb with a curve so that it wont "spit out" the material I'm trying to pick up.

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #153  
I've got an old International 3616 that I hope to get pictures of this weekend...
It is old and worn but runs well...
I think that my dad had the heads re-built years ago...

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #154  
I havent found one yet. I have access to a machine shop and plasma cutter and was planning on designing my own. THere are brackets with holes already welded on the backhoe for the upper mount. I want to put a longer pin in the bucket mount for the lower mount and will design the thumb with a curve so that it wont "spit out" the material I'm trying to pick up.

Fordoutback,
Are you going fixed or hyd. thumb? I see the upper mount holes, but you don't have the mounting holes already on the dipper stick like on my 511 in the photo. The Bradco articulated fixed link nests in these holes stowed. The thumb comes with a longer pin and a "D" shaped retaining block that fits the existing flat and secures the pin, thumb, and bucket all in one. The upper unused hole on my dipper stick is for the hyd. installation.

I think you are on the right track with the curved thumb. My thumb's teeth are 1 inch thick hardened still. I forgot the "T" number of the steel.
hugs, Brandi
5-5-07 Booger on the job.jpg11-3-07 Backhoe Thumb deployed.jpg

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #155  
Fordoutback,
Are you going fixed or hyd. thumb? I see the upper mount holes, but you don't have the mounting holes already on the dipper stick like on my 511 in the photo. The Bradco articulated fixed link nests in these holes stowed. The thumb comes with a longer pin and a "D" shaped retaining block that fits the existing flat and secures the pin, thumb, and bucket all in one. The upper unused hole on my dipper stick is for the hyd. installation.

I think you are on the right track with the curved thumb. My thumb's teeth are 1 inch thick hardened still. I forgot the "T" number of the steel.
hugs, Brandi
View attachment 301511View attachment 301513
My plan is to build an adjustable manual thumb. I have some 7/16 wall 3" tubing that I plan to slide 2 1/2 tubing inside with multiple adjustment holes. My friend with the machine shop has some hardened 3/4 inch plate for the teeth. I am going to make the templates out of plywood first to get the dimensions I need before I plasma cut the teeth. (measure twice, cut once, lol). Hopefully everything goes as planned. I will definately post pictures when I build this.

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #156  
Fordoutback,

hugs, Brandi
View attachment 301511View attachment 301513
My plan is to build an adjustable manual thumb. I have some 7/16 wall 3" tubing that I plan to slide 2 1/2 tubing inside with multiple adjustment holes. My friend with the machine shop has some hardened 3/4 inch plate for the teeth. I am going to make the templates out of plywood first to get the dimensions I need before I plasma cut the teeth. (measure twice, cut once, lol). Hopefully everything goes as planned. I will definately post pictures when I build this.

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM
I need to build me a thumb for my backhoe. As many trees that I have been digging up that would be handier than a pocket on a shirt!

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #158  
great pictures of backhoes.I'm kind of leaning towards a towable when the time comes.

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #159  
I'm planning on building a thumb for mine before too long, but I've been working mine out without it. finally starting to get decent with it.

147846686.jpg

from the controls
147855788.jpg

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #160  
great pictures of backhoes.I'm kind of leaning towards a towable when the time comes.

they are all towable.. just need the right trailer.. ;)