Backhoe BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #231  
Off and on I've considered buying a new Kubota B series tractor with a backhoe after my MF-135 restoration project is complete, but had concerns that the smaller backhoes might not be adequate for many tasks so I've been trying to decide if I can justify the added cost ($5-7k) a backhoe would bring. The alternative I was considering is to simply rent a full-sized backhoe as needed.

Can anyone comment about the power and versatility of smaller backhoes for general homeowner tasks?

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM
I'm not sure but I sure do see a lot of them little kubota backhoes there is a guy that has four of them and 4 Kubota utv with diesel trucks running up and down the roads around here and that's what he uses to make his living so they have to be pretty good I guess! Anything gota beat a shovel! Lol

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #233  
Mine is loose (needs new pins and bushings) and some other stuff but works good enough for me.

I can second that one! :thumbsup: Loose is good right!:cool2:

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #235  
Off and on I've considered buying a new Kubota B series tractor with a backhoe after my MF-135 restoration project is complete, but had concerns that the smaller backhoes might not be adequate for many tasks so I've been trying to decide if I can justify the added cost ($5-7k) a backhoe would bring. The alternative I was considering is to simply rent a full-sized backhoe as needed.

Can anyone comment about the power and versatility of smaller backhoes for general homeowner tasks?

The small 3pt backhoes are fine for smaller projects but they do not have the power and are slower than an older one (like well mine 1961 +/- ford 621 w/loader and hoe). The only reason there is because of the hydraulics, these smaller 3pt backhoes utalize the onboard hydraulic systems, and the older models (maybe not all of them) use an independant pump mounted at the front of the engine to directly run their hydraulic's something like the industrial (real) backhoes they have a greater GPM and I think a greater pressure capability. Now some of the 3pt backhoes have a pump run off of the PTO but I don't think those do much better than the onboard hydraulic systems. This is the only reason I still have my old fathfull ford in-lieu of a nice new shinny 3pt backhoe, I'll deal with the worn out pins and bushings, the slop in movement, all of the leaks, and having to buy 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid at a time just for the power and speed (not that I am speedy).

Ok lets see just how many toes I stepped on there, I am sure there will be some who totally disagree with every word. :confused3:

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM
The small 3pt backhoes are fine for smaller projects but they do not have the power and are slower than an older one (like well mine 1961 +/- ford 621 w/loader and hoe). The only reason there is because of the hydraulics, these smaller 3pt backhoes utalize the onboard hydraulic systems, and the older models (maybe not all of them) use an independant pump mounted at the front of the engine to directly run their hydraulic's something like the industrial (real) backhoes they have a greater GPM and I think a greater pressure capability. Now some of the 3pt backhoes have a pump run off of the PTO but I don't think those do much better than the onboard hydraulic systems. This is the only reason I still have my old fathfull ford in-lieu of a nice new shinny 3pt backhoe, I'll deal with the worn out pins and bushings, the slop in movement, all of the leaks, and having to buy 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid at a time just for the power and speed (not that I am speedy).

Ok lets see just how many toes I stepped on there, I am sure there will be some who totally disagree with every word. :confused3:

That's why I got rid of my 3ph backhoe and bought my ford backhoe. The 3ph one just wasn't up to my farm tasks. Now if I need it for just around the house I would have kept it.

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #237  

for general homeowner tasks? What would you consider a general homeowner task would be my first question (seriously.. most people have differing opinions on scope)
With the one I have, I have encountered occasions where I found myself wishing it was more powerful (hydraulically I guess, mainly trying to dig up tree stumps and snagging a big one).. certainly not a deal breaker, I haven't had to abandon a project due to lack of power, but some of the holes ended up a little bigger than I would have liked, and took maybe a few extra minutes.

In terms of other things, digging out bushes, trenching, etc, it's perfect. I don't plan to do anything commercially with my setup, and I don't have a huge amount of rocky land, so I guess YMMV as always. I didn't want a bunch of equipment hanging around either so that'd be a caveat for me I reckon ;)

In terms of just convenience though, I almost don't know what I would do without it now, and I haven't done anything hardcore yet like a number of other far more experienced members. I cleaned out part of a bed monday afternoon, and it took all of 5 minutes to get the old half-dead shrubs out, shovel the gravel out (old school landscape gravel, bah), and get to the planting phase.

If I had to dig out a bunch of large trees, or had some extremely rocky soil(and the later is more of a guess on my part, I don't know how it would behave first hand) I can see finding myself wanting 'more' on a regular basis. Instead I've got flat land and what they call 'white clay'.

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #238  
for general homeowner tasks? What would you consider a general homeowner task would be my first question (seriously.. most people have differing opinions on scope).

Mostly smaller tasks like trenching, moving/loading dirt or gravel, digging small 3-12 inch tree stumps, etc... I have experience on commercial backhoes and will rent one for a few large tasks I have like digging out a 3 foot oak tree stump.

Last edited:
   / BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #239  
that's basically what I envision mine spending most of it's life doing, and so far it seems to do it well.

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #240  
Mine generally does what I want it to do. But dont think you are going to go ripping out stumps very easily. I have dug them but you have to work all the way around them.

I dug a makeshift septic field with mine. If I had it to do over I would have rented a machine. I was in that seat for at least 10-12 hours. But money was tight and I had it, so I did it. And it worked. The ol sh$t ditch still works too!