Backhoe BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #81  
How long and how hard is it to remove or put on the backhoe attachment? In case you might need to use a bush hog or other type of implement. Lets say it is attached to a Kubota L series or something similiar.

Like was said about 5 minutes to remove and ten to install.

To remove I back in place, lower the outriggers and boom to take the weight off the two pins. Remove the two pins. Use boom and outriggers to tilt frame out of their "saddles". Pull tractor forward about a foot and shut off. Disconnect one hydraulic line and you're done.

To install, back tractor to within about a foot, connect hydraulic line. Start tractor and get it aligned under the backhoe frame. Use outriggers and boom to lower frame into their saddles and align pin holes. Install two attachment pins. Raise outriggers and boom and your done.

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #82  
How long and how hard is it to remove or put on the backhoe attachment? In case you might need to use a bush hog or other type of implement. Lets say it is attached to a Kubota L series or something similiar.

I made a dolly for my B2920 BH. It takes just a minute or two to get on and off. Switching to other 3 point implements is a couple minutes more because I have to put on the 3 pt arms again, but that isn't too bad. The dolly takes all the maneuvering out of it and I just roll it into place, connect the hoses and I'm done. I often switch between the BH and my wood chipper or another 3 pt implement several times in a day, so its not too bad.

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #83  
All great looking backhoes! And it looks like you done a awesome job on the homemade one!

Thanks, farmall. It was fun to build. It was even more fun to get it out and start scratching it up.

JT42,
How long did it take you to build it?
hugs, Brandi

About six months of evenings and weekends. A couple of 5/8" thick plates warped during welding and since the instructions said they needed to be perfectly flat I took them to a professional welding shop and had them pressed flat on their 75 ton press. Everything else I did myself. I've read about some other folks who have built the same model and it's taken them anywhere from three months to over a year depending on need and schedule, so I felt pretty good about my six months. It is by far the biggest welding project I've ever taken on.

Jt42 what kind of motor runs it and it HP? And what size pump do you have on it? Also is this machine worth the cost and efforts it took to build it?

It has a 9.5 hp Kohler horizontal shaft engine turning a 4 GPM pump. As for cost, it was a labor of love. They claim it can be built for under $3k but I think that's if you scrounge up some of the parts. I could have purchased a commercially made towable backhoe for less than I spent building it. I never added up the total (mostly because I didn't want to know), but I know it was more than that, especially since I also bought some new tools -- a 20T shop press, 1" and 1-1/4" reamers, 9/16 - 1" drill bit set, and many more that I can't think of right now.

Like 3v0's Dirt Master, it can move around on its own, but for going longer distances it's much faster to reconfigure it from "dig mode" to "tow mode" and pull it with something. I made sure to build mine with highway-rated hubs and wheels if I ever need to take it off my property. When I moved it from my build site to my rural property I had it up to 60 MPH at one point and it towed wonderfully. Similar commercially-produced units from DR, Northern Tool, and Harbor Freight have warnings not to tow it above 25 - 40 MPH, depending on the model.

As 3v0 said, it takes a little practice to get it to move around under its own power, but once you have the technique down it can go pretty well. The last time I used it I pulled it with a garden tractor to a stump. After digging out the stump I had it crawl on its own power about 75 feet to the remains of a rock wall that I've been moving. I crawled along the entire length of the old wall (about 300 feet) digging up rocks that were the base of the wall. Then I converted back to tow mode to move it back to storage.

I don't have a real tractor yet, just the garden tractor, so the towable backhoe is a big help.

I also built a thumb for it but it's not installed in that photo. It's manual, not hydraulic, but it has a few sets of mounting holes so it can be adjusted for the job at hand.

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM
Its always a good day when you can buy new tools! :)

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #85  
Finally got a few pictures of my 580. Once we finish some of the heavy clearing we plan to give her a new paint job.

DSC04519.JPG
DSC04520.JPG

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #86  
2520 with Model 46 hoe.IMG_2549.jpgIMG_3505.jpgIMG_3521.jpg

/ BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM #88  
Too many attachments on the tractor. A backhoe couldn't possibly fit. So I got a minidigger instead.

Attachments

• DSCF1238 [Résolution de l'écran].JPG
    DSCF1238 [Résolution de l'écran].JPG
    454.4 KB · Views: 470
  • DSCF3516 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF3516 (Copier).JPG
    99 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCF3527 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF3527 (Copier).JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCF3558 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF3558 (Copier).JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 274
   / BACKHOES LETS SEE THEM
That case is what I really want! And what is on the back of that john Deere??