Filled tires at lower levels

/ Filled tires at lower levels #21  
Yeah but how do you make sure your not under inflated. I run radials that are designed to have a sidewall buldge a fair amount to the point they often look low. I run 16 psi in the rears and 24 psi up front as directed in the manual. If I'm going for heavy loader work i will jack the frontd up a little closer to the 40 psi sidewall.

I wouldn't be able to tell the difference on a rear tire between 10 and 20 psi if i had to guess. Its hard to judge the sidewall buldge with variation of exactly where the tread blocks are

Dave

/ Filled tires at lower levels #22  
Na, probably wouldn't have killed you, but, could have left a good bruise.

All that aside though, your dealers workers just plain did it wrong.

I've seen what damage an exploding tire can do! I wouldn't want to be between the tire and tractor frame while checking the pressure and have it "go off" in my face. I think there would be more human damage than just bruising.

You are correct, though - my dealer did do it wrong! And that's just one of the reasons why they are no longer my dealer. Why on earth they wouldn't check the tire pressure (with a gauge) after loading the tires is beyond me. That's why gauges were made! Just saying...

Last edited:
   / Filled tires at lower levels #23  
Yeah but how do you make sure your not under inflated. I run radials that are designed to have a sidewall buldge a fair amount to the point they often look low. I run 16 psi in the rears and 24 psi up front as directed in the manual. If I'm going for heavy loader work i will jack the frontd up a little closer to the 40 psi sidewall.

I wouldn't be able to tell the difference on a rear tire between 10 and 20 psi if i had to guess. Its hard to judge the sidewall buldge with variation of exactly where the tread blocks are

Dave
I don't have radials, for those you will need a guage.

/ Filled tires at lower levels #24  
I used to say the same thing till I popped the bead on the rear tire of my B26 while walking back and forth on a slanted dirt bank just packing some dirt. It had 10# (guessing as that is what the other tire had) and barely squated to what I would have considered good for traction. The bead broke on the outside edge with what was the low side of the hill by rolling the tire under. It could have had less than the other tire but I didnt notice it looking low. Now I have them all aired up to the max load pressure of 20 PSI since traction isnt an issue with the B26 for backhoe and FEL work. I had to remove the tire and roll it around to get the bead back seated enough to hold air. Luckily I didnt need any of that exploding ether or wd 40 to seat it back.
I dont know if you would get more water in the tire with it laying flat or standing as either way you will have an air space in it. Of course if he continued to put water in to 30PSI after bleeding it when full, one can get near 95% water that way.
Yes, it can happen. I look at mine somewhat carefully, just in case they are losing air. So far they don't appear to have lost any air in almost 3 years.

Boy I hope I didn't just jinx myself:eek:

/ Filled tires at lower levels #25  

Dave
The only way to accurately tell the pressure is with a gauge but with 20 PSI, I wouldnt expect to see any buldge in the tire. A special gauge that is used in water filled tires is available at most parts houses. I guess with the sticky beet juice you would need to wash it well after use. I have one of those but for now, all my tractor tires are air filled so I use my Craftsman digital pressure gauge. Once you know how much pressure you need for proper traction and support, just gauge it occassionally.

/ Filled tires at lower levels #26  
...The engineer in me says that if i need a more stable tractor, that i should add weight, but only below the center line of the axles. This would give the tractor moper weight below the CG making it harder to tip. If weight is added above CG it could cause a tip, thought not likely...

It is not obvious to me that the axles are at the CG of your tractor. I think 75% fill puts all of the liquid below the CG.

Think about wheel spacers to widen the stance of the tractor. This provides tip-over resistance without adding very much weight. If you want weight for traction this doesn't help much, but you seem to be more interested in stability.

/ Filled tires at lower levels #27  
The only way to accurately tell the pressure is with a gauge but with 20 PSI, I wouldnt expect to see any buldge in the tire. A special gauge that is used in water filled tires is available at most parts houses. I guess with the sticky beet juice you would need to wash it well after use. I have one of those but for now, all my tractor tires are air filled so I use my Craftsman digital pressure gauge. Once you know how much pressure you need for proper traction and support, just gauge it occassionally.

Yes i know i have one hence my earlier post :)
Milton makes an air gauge for liquid filled tires excluding chloride $10 shipped to your door on Amazon. Rinse it out and put some air tool oil in it

Dave

Dave

/ Filled tires at lower levels #28  
Well, I will have to double check with supplier, I might get washer fluid cheaper then list I have, which says

-20 Washer fluid in 55 gallons is $2 a gallon.

I will see if there are any rim guard dealers in my area.

This tractor will do a lot of mowing 1/4 of the time in yards but the rest of the time there are some pretty good hills that i would like to be able to mow with confidence.

So I am thinking of the best balance between light enough not to damage yard, extra traction and weight for using FEL, and added stability on the hills.

Our local menards home store has wiper fluid for -20f at $1.20 a gal on sale in gal jugs. That 2buck price in bulk is bogus.

/ Filled tires at lower levels #29  
I've seen what damage an exploding tire can do! I wouldn't want to be between the tire and tractor frame while checking the pressure and have it "go off" in my face. I think there would be more human damage than just bruising.

Yeah, but remember that the liquid doesn't compress, so the amount of stored energy is decreased considerably when the amount of air inside the tire is reduced.

/ Filled tires at lower levels
Dave, good idea with wheel spacers, i will look into that.

All this advice may by a mute point.

I went out to move a little dirt and try out the 3940. I happened to hook the root of a sappling, and the fel just stopped. did not even try to lift the rear of the tractor.

Now moving around might be differant, if you leave fel raised.

btw I did get the rear off the ground. But only by trying to back up while lifting. With a full bucket, and hooked good under a tree stump.