More info on my engine

/ More info on my engine #1  

AroniaFarmer

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T603 52' Ford 8N
Hi everyone. I am trying to get some more information on my Perkins/cat engine. It is a four cylinder 60 hp, and runs very quiet and smooth. I have 170hours on it so far. Are there any concerns that I should have with this engine? When it was newer ( around 50 hours) it over heated bad. Never totally got into the red but I've been thinking about it lately Now I know that I have to blow the radiator out every once in a while. Other wise it's been goodagoodengine. Could I have warped anything by over heating I

Attachments

• image-2335871639.jpg
    image-2335871639.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 84
   / More info on my engine
AroniaFarmer said:
Hi everyone. I am trying to get some more information on my Perkins/cat engine. It is a four cylinder and runs very quiet and smooth. I have 170 hours on it so far. Are there any concerns that I should have with this engine? When it was newer ( around 50 hours) it over heated bad. Never totally got into the red but I've been thinking about it lately Now I know that I have to blow the radiator out every once in a while. Other wise it's been goodagoodengine. Could I have warped anything by over heating I

Wow my computer wasn't happy about that last sentence. Sorry about that haha!

/ More info on my engine #3  
You didn't say which model engine. Cat/Perkins makes a lot of 4's, now up to 175 HP on the top end and I don't remember on the bottom. Smaller ones are built on license from Shibura and those can be a bit iffy. I have one of the smallest, a 3 cylinder, in my mini-excavator. Radiator plugs pretty easy - there isn't a lot of extra cooling system room available in such a small machine. Mine has been in the red several times before I caught it and I haven't had any noticeable problem - I have close to 1,500 hours on it now. Probably not a good sign that Cat as gone to Kubota engines in their new skid steers, mini-excavators, and compact wheel loaders, but it may just be a sign they were having trouble meeting emissions, have to re-engine every product in their lineup, and they could reduce development by using somebody else's engine. If I were you I really wouldn't be greatly concerned because there s a margin between start of red and oops, there is a problem. Watch your oil consumption, change your oil if you feel you may have cooked it, and go on. My little 3 cylinder uses a quart about every 50 hours which is a bit high but my engine has always had a lot of blow-by out the draft tube, especially after letting it sit idling for a long time.

/ More info on my engine
You didn't say which model engine. Cat/Perkins makes a lot of 4's, now up to 175 HP on the top end and I don't remember on the bottom. Smaller ones are built on license from Shibura and those can be a bit iffy. I have one of the smallest, a 3 cylinder, in my mini-excavator. Radiator plugs pretty easy - there isn't a lot of extra cooling system room available in such a small machine. Mine has been in the red several times before I caught it and I haven't had any noticeable problem - I have close to 1,500 hours on it now. Probably not a good sign that Cat as gone to Kubota engines in their new skid steers, mini-excavators, and compact wheel loaders, but it may just be a sign they were having trouble meeting emissions, have to re-engine every product in their lineup, and they could reduce development by using somebody else's engine. If I were you I really wouldn't be greatly concerned because there s a margin between start of red and oops, there is a problem. Watch your oil consumption, change your oil if you feel you may have cooked it, and go on. My little 3 cylinder uses a quart about every 50 hours which is a bit high but my engine has always had a lot of blow-by out the draft tube, especially after letting it sit idling for a long time.
Thanks for the reply. I was a bit worried about oil consumption but I guess that a little usage here and there isn't the end of the world. Do you think that they are good engines? Other than the radiator problems so far its done everything that I have asked for it to do. I cannot remember if I changed the oil for the first time before or after the over heat. But I think that it is about due for its 3 change. Right now it has a wix filter in it and mobal 1 full synthetic turbo diesel oil in it.