Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040 - L3130 - ZD326S

Default Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating?

I have a pair of CAT branded work boots (lace up - steel toes - deep "lugs" on the soles) that I bought several years ago when building a house. The boots no longer fit right, so I'm looking to replace them. The M7040 has steps with sharp "points" to help you keep your footing, but the lugs of the CAT boots get caught on the steps. So, what do you "tractor" in?

I'm thinking of switching to pull up "cowboy style" boots with smoother soles. I'd really like to just wear tennis shoes, but I'm fairly certain (OK - I KNOW) that would be a mistake...

At any rate - regardless of anyones assumption - this really is a serious question. Well, maybe not "serious", but I'd really like to find out what others wear for foot protection. What's a good boot that's comfortable?

Thanks!
    Keith

Kubota M7040 Kubota L3130

San Ducerro Vineyards Yoakum, TX

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Default Re: Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating?

Irish Setter Soft Paws and yes, I have driven a tractor in tennis shoes.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    jinma284

as in all industrial apps safety foot wear should be worn at all times. For bringing in the wood I wear approved (UL & CSA) loggers boots, for fall and spring full lace up safety boots (steel toe, shank and insulated) for summer I have what looks like tenis shoes but are approved safety foot wear. No matter what time of the year I always have safety in mind around machinery

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

i wear a pair of Cat workboots with Capezio taps as I like to dance too.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    New Holland T 1520

I wear mostly tennis shoes. If it is wet or muddy, hiking boots. If it is below 0 degrees or deep snow, Sorrel look-a-likes.

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 & B7400

Depends on high a cut you want. I wear work boots (CSA approved) made by the Australian company, Blundstone; all of their boots are excellent.
    B3030 FEL; B7400 MMM; F2560
    LP Grader, Kub Snowblower
    Wallenstein Chipper, Nicholls Landscape Rake 5ft
    SplitFire Log Splitter, Vintage Oliver Sickle Mower 7'
    www.machold.ca
    Stihl 009l; Jonsered 2138C; Makita/Dolmar DCS510;
    EFCO 165; Solo 656, Echo PAS w/pole saw
    Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt
    www.wainfleetwag.com -www.macdezart.com

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

sometimes I wear sandals
    Murph ------------

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    sometimes I wear sandals
    I have done this on occasion when I have just needed to move the tractor out of the way for something.

to the op, I have some redwing pull-up "western" boots. They are pretty comfortable, but for now they are still my "nice" boots, so I haven't tractored with them yet. I don't think I would like them because they are kinda stiff and would be awkward with the pedals, but then again they don't get worn much so maybe they will soften up. I wear almost exclusively redwing because my work buys them and they have an account at a redwing store so it is easy. I am allowed boots every year, but get 2 years out of them so every other year I buy boots for myself. I usually end up with an "industrial" sole which is fairly smooth. It is good for being on the concrete all of the time (I am a mechanic at a factory), but would prefer more of a "lug" sole for working outside. For all around use, I like an 6" boot, but may try an 8" soon. Around here, redwing is about the best that is readily available, but a lot are made overseas (if that is important to you) so watch for that. The U.S. made ones are pretty pricey.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    kubota 7040sud

i wear danner with industrail type sole 6 '' had them 2 yrs and resoled once buy a boot with stieching on the sole so you can have it resoled instead of buying new boots when i got mine resoled it was 50 vs 160 for new boots and oil then at least every 2 weeks so the leather donr crack or the stieching dont tear

Tractor
    Kubota M7040 - L3130 - ZD326S

The current pair of CAT's are 8" boots. They are VERY heavy - which is something I am NOT looking to duplicate. I didn't think about the western style boots being awkward with the pedals, but I can certainly see how they would be. Since that's also something I'd like to avoid I think I'll pass on those as well. Looked at the Irish Setter website to check out their boots. Lots of good choices there in 6" - which would probably be the best compromise between the 8" boots and sneakers.
    Keith

Kubota M7040 Kubota L3130

San Ducerro Vineyards Yoakum, TX

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast