Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH TN70D, NH L190

Default Re: Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today

Quote Originally Posted by RDrancher View Post
    Tim, if you let me know what county you're in I'll pm you with some ideas I won't share in a public forum. Just in case one of my competitors in on here.

My father-in-law is bringing his tractor out here pretty soon. His painting business is in the toilet, so I'm getting ready to fire up a whole-hog campaign to go after more shredding business.
    RD, I am in Jones County just west of Abilene

Tim

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

In my work I do as little brush hogging as possible because transporting equipment for small jobs that are low pay isn't cost effective for me. I would much prefer to landscape and acre with my equipment on a bid than brushhog 20 avres. Mowing whether it be with a push mower or a tractor is a hard way to make a profit.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2001 New Holland TN70,2003 John Deere 250 Series II skidsteer,1987 John Deere 2155,2013 John Deere 5055E MFWD,2007 Duramax 4x4 truck, 1973 MF 165,Artic Cat 550 Cougar sled

Quote Originally Posted by foreman Etexas View Post
    Batwing going to be closer to the 75/95hr mark,and yes most def.gotta make some money and do RD quality work also...
    I was talking about $15 to $35 per acre with a batwing. Around here the rate by hour is anywhere between $90 and $150 for a batwing.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH TN70D, NH L190

When I worked out my costs I used the tractor and shredder that I already have for my model. They are a NH TN70D and Rhino SE7 shredder. I also ran the analysis using a new 12' Rhino batwing.

It appears that for me the breaking point where the batwing wins is anything over 25 acres. I chose the 12' because I am afraid I would not be able to get all the performance available out of a 15'. The 12' is made for tractors in my hp range (57 pto).

My hourly charge for the tractor, the 7' shredder and myself is $68/hr. With the batwing it rises to $82/hr. It works out to about $30/acre. I also get 1 hour each way to cover transport costs (more if the job is more than 25 miles from home) I will have to have a bunch of those 25 acre and larger mowing jobs before I spring $9,000 for the batwing.

Tim

Tractor
    kubota M7040 &m7040

Quote Originally Posted by fieldman12 View Post
    I was talking about $15 to $35 per acre with a batwing. Around here the rate by hour is anywhere between $90 and $150 for a batwing.
    20ac. Both tractors couple hrs $900,so I guess if I break it down 45acre with 20ft of mower with the two tractors just 30min.tractor drive.. Don't like hourly,the cost per hour would scare some folks. I did do one without knowing really they wonted it just topped,I'm talking my shredder up all the way,I said heck should be a breeze,well running up to around 6mph like I would have the weeds were just laying over so I had to cut my speed in half,took twice aslong,made money but took all day. Always learning something..
    I usually mow around the house with zero turn then the rest I use -butler-20121122-00079-jpgthe 8ft

Tractor
    Kubota M8540

I often do quick pro bono work for neighbors. If its something that's going to take more than 45 minutes to an hiur i charge at least $50 an hour depending on how Much i like them and the type of work.
    Often they are very grateful for the pro bono work and i get $50 fuel cards or gift certificates from them.

Dave

Dave

Tractor
    SH series

the competive situaiton is same as chinese, but the price ,i think is better than chinese.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH TN70D, NH L190

Quote Originally Posted by sunyo View Post
    the competive situaiton is same as chinese, but the price ,i think is better than chinese.
    Welcome to the board Sunyo, What is a SH series tractor (pictures are good)? What kind of shredder do you use with it? Are you in the grass mowing business?

Tim

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

What are you guys doing for business license, tax, and insurance? How does that affect your costs?
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH TN70D, NH L190

Quote Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
    What are you guys doing for business license, tax, and insurance? How does that affect your costs?
    Business License is not required in the state of Texas except for a few specific types of work. Not for mowing, although some counties and cities may require it. State sales tax applies to all mowing except for agricultural mowing. Insurance is (in my opinion) is a necessity. At least commercial auto and general liability. If you have employees, there is unemployment, workmen's comp ect.. And now Obama Care (not sure how that ones going to play out). I am just a one man show.

It certainly drives operating costs up. Makes it hard to compete with the beer money guys.

Funny, as I have been contemplating this thread, I went back and re-ran my analysis as though I was working for beer money. I took out all expenses except fuel and labor. If I charged based on that I could mow for $16/acre... for awhile

Tim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast