Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today

/ Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today
Tim, if you let me know what county you're in I'll pm you with some ideas I won't share in a public forum. Just in case one of my competitors in on here.

My father-in-law is bringing his tractor out here pretty soon. His painting business is in the toilet, so I'm getting ready to fire up a whole-hog campaign to go after more shredding business.

RD, I am in Jones County just west of Abilene

Tim

/ Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today #12  
In my work I do as little brush hogging as possible because transporting equipment for small jobs that are low pay isn't cost effective for me. I would much prefer to landscape and acre with my equipment on a bid than brushhog 20 avres. Mowing whether it be with a push mower or a tractor is a hard way to make a profit.

/ Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today #13  
Batwing going to be closer to the 75/95hr mark,and yes most def.gotta make some money and do RD quality work also...

I was talking about $15 to $35 per acre with a batwing. Around here the rate by hour is anywhere between $90 and $150 for a batwing.

When I worked out my costs I used the tractor and shredder that I already have for my model. They are a NH TN70D and Rhino SE7 shredder. I also ran the analysis using a new 12' Rhino batwing.

It appears that for me the breaking point where the batwing wins is anything over 25 acres. I chose the 12' because I am afraid I would not be able to get all the performance available out of a 15'. The 12' is made for tractors in my hp range (57 pto).

My hourly charge for the tractor, the 7' shredder and myself is $68/hr. With the batwing it rises to $82/hr. It works out to about $30/acre. I also get 1 hour each way to cover transport costs (more if the job is more than 25 miles from home) I will have to have a bunch of those 25 acre and larger mowing jobs before I spring $9,000 for the batwing.

Tim

/ Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today #15  
I was talking about $15 to $35 per acre with a batwing. Around here the rate by hour is anywhere between $90 and $150 for a batwing.
20ac. Both tractors couple hrs $900,so I guess if I break it down 45acre with 20ft of mower with the two tractors just 30min.tractor drive.. Don't like hourly,the cost per hour would scare some folks. I did do one without knowing really they wonted it just topped,I'm talking my shredder up all the way,I said heck should be a breeze,well running up to around 6mph like I would have the weeds were just laying over so I had to cut my speed in half,took twice aslong,made money but took all day. Always learning something..
I usually mow around the house with zero turn then the rest I use Butler-20121122-00079.jpgthe 8ft

/ Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today #16  
I often do quick pro bono work for neighbors. If its something that's going to take more than 45 minutes to an hiur i charge at least $50 an hour depending on how Much i like them and the type of work.
Often they are very grateful for the pro bono work and i get $50 fuel cards or gift certificates from them.

Dave

/ Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today #17  
the competive situaiton is same as chinese, but the price ,i think is better than chinese.

the competive situaiton is same as chinese, but the price ,i think is better than chinese.

Welcome to the board Sunyo, What is a SH series tractor (pictures are good)? What kind of shredder do you use with it? Are you in the grass mowing business?

Tim

/ Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today #19  
What are you guys doing for business license, tax, and insurance? How does that affect your costs?

What are you guys doing for business license, tax, and insurance? How does that affect your costs?

Business License is not required in the state of Texas except for a few specific types of work. Not for mowing, although some counties and cities may require it. State sales tax applies to all mowing except for agricultural mowing. Insurance is (in my opinion) is a necessity. At least commercial auto and general liability. If you have employees, there is unemployment, workmen's comp ect.. And now ***** Care (not sure how that ones going to play out). I am just a one man show.

It certainly drives operating costs up. Makes it hard to compete with the beer money guys.

Funny, as I have been contemplating this thread, I went back and re-ran my analysis as though I was working for beer money. I took out all expenses except fuel and labor. If I charged based on that I could mow for $16/acre... for awhile:eek:

Tim