Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Bobcat S185 skid steer - Ferris IS500Z - JD GT235

Default Re: Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today

Quote Originally Posted by RDrancher View Post
    I figure I've had a few calls from competitors. Customers usually don't ask as many questions.
    That's definitely something to consider. In my business (seamless gutters) I get calls all the time asking my per foot price. I explain to them that I don't play that game over the phone. There are several other things to consider besides total feet of gutter in an estimate and a per foot price alone doesn't tell the whole story.
    I visit all potential jobs and then give a written estimate that I never deviate from. There have been times when minor mistakes have been made and I didn't make what I should have on the job, but that's on me and I suck it up. I seem to have all the work I can handle and then some, so I guess local word of mouth is working just fine.
    So yeah, I'd be leery of throwing out a number on the phone for mowing/shredding/brush hogging or whatever without seeing the job first and getting the lay of the land. Always a possibility it can be the competition trying to get some info to pull the rug out from under you with potential customers.
    Time loves to be wasted. From that waste their is no salvage - Henry Ford

Also - Erskine 73" blower /TSC QA boom pole/ Bradco 48" forks / Grapple bucket/ JLG T350 Boom Lift / 2001 Ford F450 w/Telsta A28D aerial lift / CAM Superline 6x12 dump / (2) Kristi 7x18 enclosed / 2014 Ford F250 Super Cab gasser

Tractor
    Kubota (2010)M7040,(2012)M7040,New Holland(2004)TL100

Quote Originally Posted by tmc_31 View Post
    Business License is not required in the state of Texas except for a few specific types of work. Not for mowing, although some counties and cities may require it. State sales tax applies to all mowing except for agricultural mowing. Insurance is (in my opinion) is a necessity. At least commercial auto and general liability. If you have employees, there is unemployment, workmen's comp ect.. And now Obama Care (not sure how that ones going to play out). I am just a one man show.

It certainly drives operating costs up. Makes it hard to compete with the beer money guys.

Funny, as I have been contemplating this thread, I went back and re-ran my analysis as though I was working for beer money. I took out all expenses except fuel and labor. If I charged based on that I could mow for $16/acre... for awhile

Tim
    And I will add I claim the profit(net) on taxes as other income and insurance is $1200 a year....

Tractor
    SH series

hi,tim, SH is one chinese tractor brand, it mainly produce the walking tractor ( two wheel), and the four wheel tractors, from 35 hp, to 100 hp. i do the business of exporting them. some days ago, one African client ask me the tractor with the shredder, and i find one factory of shredder. Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today-shredder-jpg,
    i mean the competive in china also is very high. and i think in your country, the shredder owner can get higher pay for the moving.

Tractor
    New Holland TC35D, Kubota SVL90-2 CTL

Quote Originally Posted by sunyo View Post
    hi,tim, SH is one chinese tractor brand, it mainly produce the walking tractor ( two wheel), and the four wheel tractors, from 35 hp, to 100 hp. i do the business of exporting them. some days ago, one African client ask me the tractor with the shredder, and i find one factory of shredder. Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today-shredder-jpg,
    i mean the competive in china also is very high. and i think in your country, the shredder owner can get higher pay for the moving.
    Well I must say that that shredder is...different.
    John

My Work & Stuff Photo Thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...to-thread.html

John 14:6

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH TN70D, NH L190

It is an interesting shredder, all of the basic elements seem to be there. Not sure how well it is going to hold together whacking on mesquites.

Tim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123