Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today

/ Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today #21  
I figure I've had a few calls from competitors. Customers usually don't ask as many questions. :D

That's definitely something to consider. In my business (seamless gutters) I get calls all the time asking my per foot price. I explain to them that I don't play that game over the phone. There are several other things to consider besides total feet of gutter in an estimate and a per foot price alone doesn't tell the whole story.
I visit all potential jobs and then give a written estimate that I never deviate from. There have been times when minor mistakes have been made and I didn't make what I should have on the job, but that's on me and I suck it up. I seem to have all the work I can handle and then some, so I guess local word of mouth is working just fine.
So yeah, I'd be leery of throwing out a number on the phone for mowing/shredding/brush hogging or whatever without seeing the job first and getting the lay of the land. Always a possibility it can be the competition trying to get some info to pull the rug out from under you with potential customers.

/ Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today #22  
Business License is not required in the state of Texas except for a few specific types of work. Not for mowing, although some counties and cities may require it. State sales tax applies to all mowing except for agricultural mowing. Insurance is (in my opinion) is a necessity. At least commercial auto and general liability. If you have employees, there is unemployment, workmen's comp ect.. And now ***** Care (not sure how that ones going to play out). I am just a one man show.

It certainly drives operating costs up. Makes it hard to compete with the beer money guys.

Funny, as I have been contemplating this thread, I went back and re-ran my analysis as though I was working for beer money. I took out all expenses except fuel and labor. If I charged based on that I could mow for $16/acre... for awhile:eek:

Tim

And I will add I claim the profit(net) on taxes as other income and insurance is $1200 a year....

/ Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today #23  
hi,tim, SH is one chinese tractor brand, it mainly produce the walking tractor ( two wheel), and the four wheel tractors, from 35 hp, to 100 hp. i do the business of exporting them. some days ago, one African client ask me the tractor with the shredder, and i find one factory of shredder. shredder.jpg,
i mean the competive in china also is very high. and i think in your country, the shredder owner can get higher pay for the moving. :)

/ Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today #24  
hi,tim, SH is one chinese tractor brand, it mainly produce the walking tractor ( two wheel), and the four wheel tractors, from 35 hp, to 100 hp. i do the business of exporting them. some days ago, one African client ask me the tractor with the shredder, and i find one factory of shredder. View attachment 299481,
i mean the competive in china also is very high. and i think in your country, the shredder owner can get higher pay for the moving. :)

Well I must say that that shredder is...different.

/ Had an interesting inquiry about tractor mowing today
It is an interesting shredder, all of the basic elements seem to be there. Not sure how well it is going to hold together whacking on mesquites.

Tim