Front brakes on a tractor, are there any?

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #31  
Gary Fowler said:
Remember I said personally. If I roaded the tractor a lot pulling heavy trailers hauling grain or other farm subsidity at speeds above 25 MPH like many of the European tractors are used, it MIGHT be of use. For me, I don't road my tractor at all. I put it on the rural road by my house for about 1 km just to see how fast it would go when I first bought it and it hasn't been back on the road since except when it was loaded on a trailer.

I am still a bit skeptical on what kind of damage you would do to the drive train on a tractor slamming it in gear when travelling 32 MPH as one guy said his Case did and locked in the FWD when applying both brakes. This cant be good for the tractor. HOW many times do you need to stop that quickly if you are on the highway. First of all you should be paying attention to traffic conditions in front of you, not tailgating anyone moving slower than you which shouldn't be anyone other than another tractor and one shouldn't be right on the tires of the person in front in any situation. Being on the larger tractors, you should have a better view of the road ahead than anyone else so you can see any situation before anyone else also. If all else fails, your tractor IS an offroad vehicle, so if you had your head up your **** and not paying attention, take to the median or ditch if you cant stop.
I still maintain that the tractor can stop itself quicker than any car by using only the rear tires and would be better served if pulling a heavy load to have the brakes on the trailer or whatever its pulling with a brake controller just like trucks.

I must say I disagree with you logic also. It does not hurt the electronic fwa clutch in the least bit because it is a clutch pack designed for this task as well as the drivetrain. Also we had an older case ih magnum with dual rear tires that traveled 20 mph, and no fwa braking and I had a few long skid marks in my time and I consider myself a careful operator. But at 32 mph and fwa braking I never left any skid marks. Infact it would be difficult to skid those front tires. Figure in the weight transfered to the front tires in braking, just like a car they have most of the braking power. Think about it.

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #32  
RickB said:
You are entitled to your opinions just like anyone else.
The fact remains that 4 wheel brakes on wheel tractors came about purely as a result of regulatory action by certain governmental jurisdictions. 4 wheel braking removes your concerns about MFD clutch engagement at speed and provides a measure of safety in parts of the world where tractors are made to travel much faster and are used on highways doing work that would fall to over-the-road trucks in than in Arkansas or the rest of the US. Trailer brake hydraulic valves are everyday items across the pond, as well. Ford tractor parts catalogs have been published for decades listing components used worldwide in a single publication. Not too hard to find European spec parts & pieces installed & cataloged to meet local requirements if you take a minute to look. Circumstances vary around the world from what we see from our front porches.

Actually most new large ag American tractors are equipped with hydrolic trailer brake hook up. We changed our 24 ton grain wagons' surge brakes to accept our Case IH Magnums' brake hookups. Trailer brake should be used trailed equipment weighs more than double of the tractor.

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #33  
Actually most new large ag American tractors are equipped with hydrolic trailer brake hook up. We changed our 24 ton grain wagons' surge brakes to accept our Case IH Magnums' brake hookups. Trailer brake should be used trailed equipment weighs more than double of the tractor.

I won't argue with that. But it's an idea imported from Europe after many years there.

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #34  
That is interesting at 2 min 44 sec how the tractor veered to the left enough to get the left rear on "ice" and then the left front was the only one of four wheels actually effective. Good find!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9CpNEIjpp0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
This might be interesting to you. Check out the front differential action at 2 min 44 sec. in the video.
And yes they do make some tractors with bake pads on all 4 wheels. But not in this video.

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #35  
RickB said:
I won't argue with that. But it's an idea imported from Europe after many years there.

Yea I agree with that. Actually I think Europe is much more advanced in ag tractors, that's where the cvt trans in tractors originated from.

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #36  
I must say I disagree with you logic also. It does not hurt the electronic fwa clutch in the least bit because it is a clutch pack designed for this task as well as the drivetrain. Also we had an older case ih magnum with dual rear tires that traveled 20 mph, and no fwa braking and I had a few long skid marks in my time and I consider myself a careful operator. But at 32 mph and fwa braking I never left any skid marks. Infact it would be difficult to skid those front tires. Figure in the weight transfered to the front tires in braking, just like a car they have most of the braking power. Think about it.

are you referring to skid marks on the road... or somewhere else? :laughing:

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #37  
mikehaugen said:
are you referring to skid marks on the road... or somewhere else? :laughing:

Well on the road first, then else where after the fact maybe. Chuckle.

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #38  
HOW many times do you need to stop that quickly if you are on the highway.

I still maintain that the tractor can stop itself quicker than any car by using only the rear tires and would be better served if pulling a heavy load to have the brakes on the trailer or whatever its pulling with a brake controller just like trucks.

On the highway? Never. On suburban streets? Seveal times per shift. It's amazing how many people think they have right of way in thier little car and somehow that excludes them from giving right-of-way that we all know we are entitled to just the same as any other vehicle on the road. With a 2500lbs blower hanging way out the back, and with loaded front tires, I'll take all the braking I can get. They never expect that I can out-accellerate them up to 40kmh.

On the highway, I'm with you Gary, trailer brakes all the way.