Front brakes on a tractor, are there any?

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #1  

skylarkguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA
So I have been randomly noodling something about front brakes on tractors. Neither of my tractors have front brakes, which is most of my experience. I'm not sure about newer tractors but I guess I haven't actually seen a tractor with front brakes. I'm wondering why?

Outside of helping the tractor turn with split rear brakes, I don't see and advantage to only having the rear brakes control the stopping power of the tractor. Obviously there would be extra complexity to the tractor, but it seems like the stopping ability would be greatly enhances with 4 wheel brakes.

Perhaps I'm missing somethings about loads and weight distribution so that it wouldn't matter, What say you all?

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #2  
Interesting to think about. If I want front braking I use 4wd. And chains if I want more than that.
I have never had any trouble stopping the way I use my tractor, even on steep hills, so in my case I don't feel the need and would not want the expense and maintenence hassels. It will be interesting what others think.

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #3  
Same here, when I need extra braking ability, use 4wd, then you can utilize the contact patch of the front tires when you hit the brakes on the rear wheels, since they are mechanically connected. Some larger tractors have front brakes, and even ABS systems and will stop very large loads quickly. But I don't know of any CUTS that have front brakes per se.

James K0UA

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #4  
I don't think they have front brakes becaise they don't need them. Many differential brakes are ran by mechanical linkages. Front brakes would require a hydraulic system.

Differential mechanical brakes also protect the brakes from some dust and dirt. Shoes, drums and discs will take a beating on the front end of a tractor.

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #5  
If I have 4WD engaged, then I have front brakes, just as Gordon describes.
Problem is, I can never know when I'm going to need to get on the binders in a big way, and I don't drive around in 4WD unless need it. My neighbor's banana-head hound that insists on challenging my passage over my own field seems to appear out of nowhere, and stops right in front of the FEL, usually with another neighbor's cat food dish in his mouth.

I'm not sure it matters much as long as you are correctly ballasted. Most of your traction is from your rear tires, as they should be taking a larger share ofthe weight than the fronts. I also haven't noticed the weight shift to the front axle on my tractors that I get with hard braking in a car, where the front brakes are the dominant stopping mechanism. Maybe I'm not driving the tractor fast enough.

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #6  
Many new "large" tractors (JD, NH etc) do have front braking, but definitely not common on older tractors - although my old MB trac 1000 had them. I think it is more common on fast tractors with air braking - like the MB trac. Also I don't know about the US, but in the UK and much of Europe air all wheel braking is now mandatory on any tractor used on the public highway at speeds over a certain limit (I think it's 25kph, but could actually be less), so guessing we'll be seeing far more models with front brakes in the future... :thumbsup:

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #7  
If I have 4WD engaged, then I have front brakes, just as Gordon describes.
Problem is, I can never know when I'm going to need to get on the binders in a big way, and I don't drive around in 4WD unless need it.

We used to have a Case 5140 which would automatically engage the 4wd when you braked - and if you braked hard then yes you did get the same weight shift feeling as on a car.... :thumbsup:

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #8  
Yes, most of the "new" larger ag tractors automatically engage the 4wd when the brakes are applied which still gives you 4 wheel braking. Atleast the ones I've seen around here do. I'm not sure how small you get before that doesn't apply. As I think about it, Its only on tractors with electronic 4wd. Makes sense as the computer would pick up the activation of the brakes to be able to switch on the 4wd -- couldn't do that with a lever-activated 4wd.

I've heard that Deutz with the 50 km trans have actual front brakes and front suspension -- But I haven't looked at one myself.

I can say for certain, I've never found a time when I wanted front brakes, heck, I don't even use the rear ones -- just let the HST stop the tractor.

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #9  
Yes, most of the "new" larger ag tractors automatically engage the 4wd when the brakes are applied which still gives you 4 wheel braking. Atleast the ones I've seen around here do. I'm not sure how small you get before that doesn't apply. As I think about it, Its only on tractors with electronic 4wd. Makes sense as the computer would pick up the activation of the brakes to be able to switch on the 4wd -- couldn't do that with a lever-activated 4wd.

I've heard that Deutz with the 50 km trans have actual front brakes and front suspension -- But I haven't looked at one myself.

I can say for certain, I've never found a time when I wanted front brakes, heck, I don't even use the rear ones -- just let the HST stop the tractor.

Yes, I do the same. Years ago I had a rotary mower push me and my Ford 2000 2WD into a pond when I was mowing downhill with it. It did not have live power, that's when I bought my first Kubota with 4WD!

/ Front brakes on a tractor, are there any? #10  
I'm not sure it matters much as long as you are correctly ballasted. Most of your traction is from your rear tires, as they should be taking a larger share ofthe weight than the fronts. I also haven't noticed the weight shift to the front axle on my tractors that I get with hard braking in a car, where the front brakes are the dominant stopping mechanism. Maybe I'm not driving the tractor fast enough.

you probably don't feel the weight transfer of a car partly because you don't have the front brakes, unless as other stated you are in 4wd. Also you don't have the suspension to allow the tractor to "lean forward." Any weight transfer that you may feel would come from the tires flexing. Think about a vehicle with a rigid frame driving with steel wheels on railroad tracks. There would be no way to feel which wheels were actually doing the stopping.