Tractor
    2010 New Holland Boomer 8n

Default CVT-NEW HOLLAND-Does anyone own the series 2?

I have a 2010 New Holland Boomer 8N. Actually, i really love the tractor. Excellent power, excellent control! And it looks great. I dare any other manufacturer to bring back a classic like NH did! When i got it, my dealer-whom i love-updated the program and i havent had any mechanical problems. The telescoping steering wheel and rear end lock both siezed up from not being use and thats the only problem i have ever had out of my tractor. HOWEVER, i have heard and read about people who hate the cvt. WHY? What issues are you guys having AND if you own the series 2, what is different about it? I cant get anyone to tell me why it was updated and changed and am i missing something or going to have problems if i keep mine. thanks, guys!

Todd

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1742

Default Re: CVT-NEW HOLLAND-Does anyone own the series 2?

These are good questions and I'd be curious to see any feedback anyone has on them as well.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    NH 3050

I only have around 25 hours on my new Boomer 3050 with CVT and so far it has worked like a dream. My manual does not refer to a CVT II/CVT-2 so I would not know the difference! Last week I tore down a concrete building and was lifting and carting around sections of wall that weighed 800-900 pounds each and yesterday morning dismantled a wooden picket fence and carried 6-8 ten foot sections at a time to the burn pile.
    -nhwithclaw083013-003-jpg

Tractor
    NH Boomer 8N, NH TC40DA

I have 78 hours on mine. My telescoping steering wheel doesn't work either but I never move it from where I set it new. I had a left fender break where the step attached but it was replaced under warranty and has not had any problems. I just use mine for mowing, the TC40DA does all the daily work when we clean stalls or drag the arena. My CVT was updated with the new software when it went in for the fender repair and works great. I love the preset cruise control, mine is at 3.0 MPH for mowing. Sure beats the HST whine the TC40DA has.

I wish the headlights were brighter, I am going to change out the bulbs to see if it helps. Mine have a strange pattern that I think is from the brand of bulb they used at the factory. I will use Sylvania like I use in my pickups.
    Randy

NH Boomer 8N, 6' Squealer Rotary Cutter
    NH TC40DA, 16LA FEL, Red Master II Harrow
    Land Pride 6' Tiller, 7' Landscape Rake
    2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    Big Tex 12GP 20' GN trailer
    Cub Cadet RZT 50"

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1742

Thanks for the quick replies. Helpful information. These CVT models interest me a good deal. My past tractor experience is with older tractors from the 1940's-1960's so any of the newer models are probably going to seem like a vast improvement to me.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    NH 3050

I have owned 8 tractors over the years and these newer models, though much improved in many ways, kind of scare me when it comes to making tractor repairs here on the property. The older models were easy to maintain if a carburetor plugged up or a wire came loose. A lot of minor glitches could be fixed by anyone who was handy with their hands and could read a manual. The newer units have so many electronics that the average owner does not have the equipment or the knowledge to repair problems that might pop up. In fact one reads quite a lot of stories on the internet where tractor dealerships sometimes cannot find the cause of problems. The days of repairing at home with a cheap hand held electrical meter and a few hand wrenches is over. "Say Buddy, Can you spare me a code reader?" All in all I love the CVT so far and have had no problems or work project the Boomer could not handle. This is also my only tractor to have AC and Stereo and it has spoiled me so far with our 100F temperatures outside....