Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21
    Elite Member Chilly807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,217
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

    Default Re: Kubota L3400 Setting Up a Garden

    Our garden was nothing spectacular last year (first year planted, too dry, and I refuse to put domestic water on it) but we used our horse manure pile for fertilizer in lieu of chemical products. All in all it wasn't bad. Some plants seem to really like the HM, cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes in particular. This year we hope to have the soil more worked in and fluffier. We have heavy clay which is less than ideal. I'd recommend a hiller too, it takes the work out of making rows. Come to think of it, I have an old scrap disc harrow that's not doing much at the moment, it might get pressed into use for parts to build a hiller with.

    We just tried to weed ours once a week or two at most and keep 'em down to a dull roar. As anyone that's used horse manure for fertilizer can tell you, it's weedy at best. As luck would have it the weeds that grow are distinctive, easily identified and pulled.

    Sean

  2. #22
    Elite Member Don87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,226
    Location
    SW Pa.
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

    Default Re: Kubota L3400 Setting Up a Garden

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly807 View Post
    Our garden was nothing spectacular last year (first year planted, too dry, and I refuse to put domestic water on it) but we used our horse manure pile for fertilizer in lieu of chemical products. All in all it wasn't bad. Some plants seem to really like the HM, cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes in particular. This year we hope to have the soil more worked in and fluffier. We have heavy clay which is less than ideal. I'd recommend a hiller too, it takes the work out of making rows. Come to think of it, I have an old scrap disc harrow that's not doing much at the moment, it might get pressed into use for parts to build a hiller with.

    We just tried to weed ours once a week or two at most and keep 'em down to a dull roar. As anyone that's used horse manure for fertilizer can tell you, it's weedy at best. As luck would have it the weeds that grow are distinctive, easily identified and pulled.

    Sean
    Oh, yea. I used it a couple of years ago. And lordy the weeds I got

    I'm using triple 19 where the cabbage goes, and triple 10 most everywhere else now.
    Don

    MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

  3. #23
    Elite Member 300UGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,454
    Location
    Howell, Michigan
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400, Farmall H

    Default Re: Kubota L3400 Setting Up a Garden

    Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    Oh, yea. I used it a couple of years ago. And lordy the weeds I got

    I'm using triple 19 where the cabbage goes, and triple 10 most everywhere else now.
    I found that if I composted it for a couple of years, I'd get fewer weeds. Still got some....

  4. #24
    Elite Member Don87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,226
    Location
    SW Pa.
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

    Default Re: Kubota L3400 Setting Up a Garden

    Quote Originally Posted by 300UGUY View Post
    I found that if I composted it for a couple of years, I'd get fewer weeds. Still got some....
    Oh, yea, the heat build up will kill the weed seeds during composting. But I got this from a guy down the road, and where he was piling it, you had to get a bunch of fresh out before you could get to the 'several year old' pile of pure horse manure.

    Then I started researching(shoulda done it beforehand), and I found that horse manure has the least beneficial nutrients for plant growth than most any fecal matter out there(besides human).
    Don

    MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

  5. #25
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    817
    Location
    Northern Alabama
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45SE, 1994 JD LX176

    Default Re: Kubota L3400 Setting Up a Garden

    I don't know how big your garden is, but my wife and I used to use one of these for weeding our garden.

    Earthway 6500W High Wheel Cultivator - Earthway Outlet

    Our soil had a lot of red clay in it, but the cultivator pushed through it easily, very little effort.

  6. #26
    Elite Member Don87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,226
    Location
    SW Pa.
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

    Default Re: Kubota L3400 Setting Up a Garden

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWannabe View Post
    I don't know how big your garden is, but my wife and I used to use one of these for weeding our garden.

    Earthway 6500W High Wheel Cultivator - Earthway Outlet

    Our soil had a lot of red clay in it, but the cultivator pushed through it easily, very little effort.
    I found one of those at a yard sale last year. It has the metal handles, and is rusty, but is well worth the 25 bucks I paid for it. It works good.
    Don

    MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Kubota L3400 Garden Advice
    By puttering in forum Attachments
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM
  2. Comparison Kubota L3400 DT vs Kubota L4310GST
    By jmm46 in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 06:56 PM
  3. Setting pole barn post with backhoe on kubota
    By Darrenone in forum Projects
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2012, 03:50 PM
  4. Setting up a Log Splitter with my Kubota L2350
    By biblebound in forum Hydraulics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 08:24 PM
  5. kubota L3400
    By spiter23 in forum Attachments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 05:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.