How close is your dealer? And how important is that to you?

/ How close is your dealer? And how important is that to you? #11  
Living on the NE coast of Tassie, EVERY major dealership is a 2hr, one way, trip. I started by asking around town as to who had the best reputation. I don't care where you live, reputation is #1 and when you're talking distances it's the major factor. It happens that the John Deere dearlership kept on popping up in conversation with the locals (where your tractor will be at), both for a realy good deal and (more importantly) their service department.

We all do our own maintenance but eventually a major servicing is going to be required, especially if you buy new. (I dickered to have the first servicing done for free 'cause it's done on my property. = A$1000)

/ How close is your dealer? And how important is that to you? #12  
Besides the miles the most important decision on a dealer is your trust and comfort level with the dealer. I bought from a dealer 28 miles away, and there were 2 that were closer, but with them I had a good feeling and better working relationship. They answered all my questions and were great to work with.

Charlie

/ How close is your dealer? And how important is that to you? #13  
We operate Kubota equipment and are fortunate enough to have 2 local dealers plus several others within an hour's drive. That said, we have done all our own maintenance and simply pick up the filters, etc. when needed. Our equipment is getting some age and hours, but so far we have not had any essential component failures in over 10 years. We've had parts shipped in for a few operator-induced minor repairs such as a torn steering grease boot and some busted plastic trim. Actually, the dealer we originally bought from went under several years ago but we really haven't suffered any ill-effects because the equipment has been fundamentally reliable and trouble-free. Sooner or later there will be a significant repair needed - it's inevitable - and that may prove to be something more of a challenge.

It's that prospect that keeps me saying a dealer is important. Besides, it never hurts to tell someone to avoid fools, shysters and jerks when doing business.

/ How close is your dealer? And how important is that to you? #14  
Not very important at all. I've dealt with two of the NH dealers here (Fredericksburg & Austin) in the last couple months since I bought my tractor. Austin delivered on the tractor weights (new stuff) but they never returned my calls concerning parts - I finally ordered online. Fredericksburg did a mediocre to moderately incompetent job at putting together the PHD I bought through them - fortunately nothing I won't be able to correct. In both cases I should've ordered on-line and had it freighted to my house. It would've saved me a bit of cash, too - in both cases I had to pay for freight anyway.

Unless it's an emergency, I plan on buying everything on-line or at places like TSC. I do the same thing with an old Land Rover that most US dealerships won't support in the least.

/ How close is your dealer? And how important is that to you? #15  
When I bought my new TYM233, the distance (120 miles) was not important. Now that I want to get some warranty "gripes" looked at, its a bigger deal!

/ How close is your dealer? And how important is that to you? #16  
My LS dealer is 70 miles away and when I go I stock up on filters etc. so I don't have to make that trip often. The nearest Kubota is 27 miles and takes 47 minutes to the north or 59 miles and 67 minutes to the south. I don't see that 50 miles one way or the other is a big deal. Once you are loaded up its about an hour to each of them because the nearest one, I have to drive all the way thru Hot Springs and the further one is right off I 35 so no city traffic.
In todays world, distances are shrinking fast. I made a 1000 mile trip to pick up my Kubota TLB and it was no big deal. Got to visit some family along the way and made it a 4 day trip. If you have the time and resources to trailer your rig, 200 miles isn't too far to haul if that is all you have available. IF you have family at the haul point so you can make it a visiting trip also, then its a bonus.

/ How close is your dealer? And how important is that to you? #17  
Local JD dealer is 8 miles away. It used to be family owned, but gobbled up by a mega dealer and is now one of 10 stores all owned by the same mega dealer.
Their new slogan is "the price is the price" They only deal if you are spending big bucks

/ How close is your dealer? And how important is that to you? #18  
The reason I want a close dealer is to keep the farm working. When I have a field of hay that's ready to bale, and there's a breakdown, I can have the parts in less than an hour. Those of you that bale hay know that every hour counts. My New Holland dealer is 6 miles away, hence I own a New Holland baler. Since I have more than one tractor, that's not as big of an issue.

/ How close is your dealer? And how important is that to you? #19  
Another question came to mind. How close is your dealer to you? And how important is that to you?

I live in suburban Dallas, TX, but my property where my tractor is going to be located is 120 road miles away in SE Oklahoma.
I pass by JD, Kubota, Mahindra and New Holland dealers on my way to the property, but even then they are 30+ miles away.
The nearest Massey-Ferguson dealer is about 30 miles beyond my property. And the nearest Kioti dealer is about 20 miles from my house in the opposite direction from my property.

I expect to do all my maintenance myself, but should the distance to the dealer really make much difference to me?

Thanks!

Martin

Buy the brand tractor you want from a good dealer. Parts support is a "UPS is cheaper than fuel" way we operate our farm tractor maintenance support. We have bought 3 new JD tractors in the last 4 years and none of the 3 have ever been in the dealer shop, nor have we "in person". Ken Sweet

/ How close is your dealer? And how important is that to you? #20  
I have a Mahindra dealer 10 min away, a Massey 15 min away. I went with the Kubota dealer 1/2 hour away because they were the better dealer to converse with as to what I needed in a tractor and price. That being said even a 1/2 hr is close by. I so far have done all my own maintenance but if something pops up in the future that I can't handle, it will be a godsend to have the dealer close by. It's also convenient to be able to drive and pick up a part rather than having to order on line and wait a week or more. If you depend on your tractor as your means of employment, I would think close by is a must.