Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Silver Member

Default Re: How to use cable to drag logs

Quote Originally Posted by DickThomas View Post
    I'll pass on a tip my dad gave me 60 years ago: DO NOT EVER!!! use cable to snake logs. Use chain. Because it stretches only a few thousandths inch per link, it doesn't store large amounts of energy; If a chain breaks, it recoils a short way and drops slack. Cable may stretch several inches, storing thousands of foot-pounds of energy. Cable recoils like a bullwhip. In his teens, dad saw a man cut in half by a recoiling cable which snapped under the pull of a 4-hitch team of Belgian draft horses. Even a small CUT has more that sufficient drawbar pull to suddenly snap a cable if a log catches wrong. A cable large enough to be 'safe' will be too large in diameter to handle.
    Another item: Have you ever watched a tow truck operator use winches & cables to draw a car onto a flatbed? Where does he stand? Way off to the side, using a remote control, in case the cable snaps. Now compare that with where YOU are sitting when towing a log - or anything, with a cable: Yep, dead straight in-line of possible cable snap. Dead being the operative word here.

A word to the wise.
    No offense meant, chain does stretch more than several thousands of an inch. I have inspected chain slings, for example a 2 leg spreader that started out even. After heavy use and overload applications one leg being 2-3 inch and sometimes more longer than other leg. Chain is no different than cable, when it breaks it will hurt or kill. Both have a viscous recoil when loaded hard enough to break.
    Check this video out
    Breaking of rig anchor chain. - YouTube

Silver Member

This is the model of Klein grip I would suggest, find one for the size of cable you are using and WLL you are needing
    Klein Tools -Havenís Grip

Amsteel is a very cool product as are the 12 strand Plasma ropes, unbelievable strength and very user friendly. In a rough / abrasive environment they do not hold up, but they were not designed to be drug across sharp edges, snag prone areas etc either.

Tractor
    Ford 8N, LS R4047H, Massey Ferguson 241, Hustler Sport ZTR

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly807 View Post
    We stopped using the Amsteel blue synthetic cable at work, the riggers discovered that if you put a tight bend in it it rapidly weakens it to the point where there is no safety margin anymore. It'll break very close to it's rated working load, which is a LOT less than the safety factor we require.

I use a logging winch these days, got tired of fiddling with long cables and chains, nylon rope and snatch blocks. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

Sean
    I can't see any reason to put a tight bend in it when skidding logs, but there could be something I'm not considering.

Tractor
    Kioti DS 4110

Would be interested in knowing more the logging winch. Have seen some listings on craigslist but really have no idea how they work or what to look for when buying one.

Tractor
    Massey ferguson 1643

Hi. Mine is a Farmi 351p, it will pull near 4 tons, 165 ft of wire. Always buy one with a blade in the back ( like a dozer blade ) that anchor the winch on the ground when pulling. Many other makers, Wallenstein and go on the net you will find others, many video also (youtube). Logging winch will be attached to your 3 point arms, and use your pto power to pull. Some use hydraulic but most uses the pto. You only have to pull a rope to engage a clutch on the winch that pulls and if resistance is exceeding the pulling power of your winch ( jam on a stump or rock a logging cone can avoid this)), the clutch will slip and will stop pulling (safety device). If you have to pull in an angle, the use of a snatch block pulley is very safe so the tractor will not roll over. Try to pull in a straight line behind the winch, if the angle is over 30 degrees, there is a great danger of roll-over .Do not forget that my model can pull 4 tons and a 501 model will pull 5 tons.....used wisely, a logging winch is very safe and so usefull. Roger

Tractor
    Kioti DS 4110

wow just watched the video on thier web site, pretty cool.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123