How to use cable to drag logs

/ How to use cable to drag logs #1  

Kioti Lee

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DS 4110
We have been using a cable and snatch block to pull trees down a hill and cut into firewood, so much nicer than falling and cutting into firewood where they fall. Actually with all the rain and mud we get we usally do firewood in summer. (new to this tractor thing, not sure how I got by without one). We have now logged all the trees that we have room to back tractor up from block. How do we connect cable to tractor once we have gone as far as we can and then driven back to block.. Is there sometype of connector that can be placed in middle of cable? Thanks

/ How to use cable to drag logs #3  
When you reach the end of the pull, back up to where you started, put another block on the tractor, tie off the end of the cable and pull again. The log will move twice as far with the same length pull. Slow down, as the log will also move twice as fast at the same tractor speed.

Or do this from the beginning if you don't need full power.

Bruce

Attachments

• logpull.jpg
    logpull.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,013
   / How to use cable to drag logs #4  
There is a cable clamp that can be put anywhere on a cable, not sure what the name of them. I got mine from the iron workers and they called it a porkchop, maybe because of the shape of it.

/ How to use cable to drag logs #5  
I use chain for dragging logs behind the tractor. Hate working with cable. Unless you spend a lot of $ for fine wire flexible cable it is a "B" to work with. If using snatch blocks though you have no choice. I always use shackles on the ends or to choke around logs. The cable slides better on the steel shackle that on it's self and it will last a lot longer w/o breaking wires. Never-never choke a cable or web strap through its loop. That type connection is less than half the strength of the cable or strap and wears thekm fast. I also use shackles with web straps. On chain I choke using and open style hook on that end. On my long chain I have a seperate open hook attached several links away from the end snatch hook so I have the best of both worlds. Also I pull the cotter pins out and heat/peen the pin so it doesn't snag in my gloves. Old Construction Rigger talking here. Work Safe Please, wear gloves for any of this rigging, that has saved my hands many times. If winching lay a long rug over the cable close to where you are to prevent whip back if a break occurs. A cable under strain can take your head off.

Ron

/ How to use cable to drag logs #7  
Not sure if I fully understand the issue. But this device will shorten the cable to any length without causing damage. We use if for felling trees and shortening a 100 ft. cable when necessary.

A loop is formed in the cable and then wedged in the device. Then the pull is off of the pin.

They are pricey but work very well.

Cable Wedge Socket For Wire Rope Winch Cables | Truck n Tow.com

/ How to use cable to drag logs #8  
I use chain for dragging logs behind the tractor. Hate working with cable. Unless you spend a lot of $ for fine wire flexible cable it is a "B" to work with. If using snatch blocks though you have no choice. I always use shackles on the ends or to choke around logs. The cable slides better on the steel shackle that on it's self and it will last a lot longer w/o breaking wires. Never-never choke a cable or web strap through its loop. That type connection is less than half the strength of the cable or strap and wears thekm fast. I also use shackles with web straps. On chain I choke using and open style hook on that end. On my long chain I have a seperate open hook attached several links away from the end snatch hook so I have the best of both worlds. Also I pull the cotter pins out and heat/peen the pin so it doesn't snag in my gloves. Old Construction Rigger talking here. Work Safe Please, wear gloves for any of this rigging, that has saved my hands many times. If winching lay a long rug over the cable close to where you are to prevent whip back if a break occurs. A cable under strain can take your head off.

Ron

There is a relatively new alternative to cable that works better, floats, won't rust/mildew, has zero spring back if it breaks, and works fine with snatch blocks etc. I have it on my new cable winch, and it's nice knowing that if it snaps (not too likely), it won't hurt you, or damage equipment. I switched to it after watching a cable snap, and seeing the hook end fly at least 100ft (I had it running around another tree with a snatch block)...just happy it didn't head towards me! If I recall correctly, it's a bit less expensive from Amazon.com (still not cheap, but worth it).

Winch Line, Rope, ATV winch lines, Recovery ropes, Kinetic recovery rope, Snatch ropes, Amsteel Blue

/ How to use cable to drag logs #9  
There is a relatively new alternative to cable that works better, floats, won't rust/mildew, has zero spring back if it breaks, and works fine with snatch blocks etc. I have it on my new cable winch, and it's nice knowing that if it snaps (not too likely), it won't hurt you, or damage equipment. I switched to it after watching a cable snap, and seeing the hook end fly at least 100ft (I had it running around another tree with a snatch block)...just happy it didn't head towards me! If I recall correctly, it's a bit less expensive from Amazon.com (still not cheap, but worth it).

Winch Line, Rope, ATV winch lines, Recovery ropes, Kinetic recovery rope, Snatch ropes, Amsteel Blue

I will stress it is way safer that steel.Synthetic cable is good stuff,but is not really for something he is doing. It dont take abrasion real well. We have used out here in the river industry for 20 years. A lot of my rockcrawling buddies use it on there rigs for quicker recovery times and lighter weight. They replace it quite often,you have to watch where you run it,if it is going to rub you should put something such as carpet between it and where it rubs. Sand an mud also are hard on the stuff. I have thought about putting it on my truck and jeep winches, a 8000# and 12000# warn winch respectively,but use them to much to find it cost effective. Like I said, good stuff,just wouldnt be in his application. LUTT

/ How to use cable to drag logs #10  
I will stress it is way safer that steel.Synthetic cable is good stuff,but is not really for something he is doing. It dont take abrasion real well. We have used out here in the river industry for 20 years. A lot of my rockcrawling buddies use it on there rigs for quicker recovery times and lighter weight. They replace it quite often,you have to watch where you run it,if it is going to rub you should put something such as carpet between it and where it rubs. Sand an mud also are hard on the stuff. I have thought about putting it on my truck and jeep winches, a 8000# and 12000# warn winch respectively,but use them to much to find it cost effective. Like I said, good stuff,just wouldnt be in his application. LUTT

I'm using it for the same thing as the OP is, without any real problems. Yes, it requires a little more care, but for me, that's a fair tradeoff when you factor in the extra safety. I'm sure in a commercial operation the little bit of extra time, cost and care required wouldn't be acceptable, but for those of us who do a day here and there moving trees, I'm not sure it matters. I have a major aversion to steel cables flying at me, so I'll pay a little more, replace it more frequently, and be slightly less productive to not worry at all about it flying back at me. :thumbsup:

I will say that in one way, it's faster...you don't have to wrestle with it the way you always have to do with steel cable...not a huge deal, but a nice benefit.