Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710

Default Re: Problem unhooking bushhog

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'm going to tackle this tomorrow when I have more time. Thanks again!

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'm going to tackle this tomorrow when I have more time. Thanks again!
    Your welcome, and let us know what you find.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710

Will do!

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I would almost bet that you need to push forward on the collar rather than back. Mine on my bush hog brand it that way. It will move to the rear just like the front with center being locked and pulling back doesn't release it. Last time I put mine on it stayed on for months and when I was trying to remove it, I just couldn't get it to budge and I was pulling it to the rear. Somehow I pushed on it and it slide forward so I then knew that the collar had to be pushed forward not pulled back. If you have the twist to release, then I have had the ball bearings rust up and not fall back inside. Lots of penetrant and a few taps with a hammer finally released the retainers.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Personally, I detest those slip collars. The seem to always be hard no matter what.

If (WHEN) you get the collar off of the shaft you may consider switching it out for a pin type. Tractor Supply and tractor dealers have them.

Just tap out the U-joint and replace the end.
    2009 Kubota M7040, R1s, LA1153 FEL, fork lift, 3 rear remotes, T&T
    2002 Kubota L48 TLB, 12", 18", 24" HD buckets
    2001 Kubota BX2200, Turf, LA211 FEL
    7.5' Howse 3PT disc, 88" Gearmore 4G4 box scraper, 4' box scraper, Gearmore GB85 blade, LandPride RCR2596 cutter, 6', 4' flail mowers, 6', 4' rototiller, 4' Bush Hog cutter, HD subsoiler, Bearcat 70554 chipper, Bush Hog PHD w/ 12", 6" augers, Ford 101 3-bottom plow, 8' land leveler, 6' rake, lots of misc.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710

Okay, I decided to approach this trying the simplest method first and it worked. I simply used a small crow bar to apply leverage on the collar while holding the collar back so it could slide off the shaft. With just minimal coaxing she came right off. One lesson learned here for sure, I will go get me the pin type to replace the slip on collar. Those things are the work of the devil. LOL!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Gold Member

Okay, I decided to approach this trying the simplest method first and it worked. I simply used a small crow bar to apply leverage on the collar while holding the collar back so it could slide off the shaft. With just minimal coaxing she came right off. One lesson learned here for sure, I will go get me the pin type to replace the slip on collar. Those things are the work of the devil. LOL!!!

I have both types. I always clean the shaft and spray WD40 on everything just before hooking up. Never had a problem with either kind.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100F IH McCormick Farmall 140, Massey Ferguson 135

Glad it worked for you. I agree, the pin type is simpler when they malfunction.

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Glad your problem is solved. Use a lot of grease on the splines and other sliding parts. I make it a rule never to keep pto driven equipment attached to the tractor unless I plan to use the implement within the next few days. Eliminates a lot of problems with stuck pto splines etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12