Problem unhooking bushhog

/ Problem unhooking bushhog #1  

LabLuvR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
The other day I was bushhogging and a strap of some kind got thrown around the pto bushhog coupling head. It apparently messed up the plastic or something as I can't get the shaft unhooked from the tractor. I can pull the coupler ring back, but it will not slip off the shaft. Any suggestions? Thanks!

/ Problem unhooking bushhog #2  
A whole bunch of info here. Post #63 tells how the poster finally removed the shaft but I would quickly read through some of the post suggestions.

/ Problem unhooking bushhog #3  
Maybe the PTO shaft got pinched or bent so it resists telescoping? Try raising and lowering the 3pt hitch to see if that loosens it.

/ Problem unhooking bushhog
I pulled the shaft from the bushhog, so the bushhog is now separated from the tractor.

/ Problem unhooking bushhog #5  
So is the pin on the PTO coupling depressing like it should?

/ Problem unhooking bushhog #6  
So is the pin on the PTO coupling depressing like it should?

It sounds like his is the collar type shaft.

I've had similar problems before on a disc mower. In my case the collar wasn't actually coming all the way back. I whacked it one good time with a hitch pin and it came right off. I sprayed Liquid Wrench or something like that on it afterwards and have had no problems since.

/ Problem unhooking bushhog
I don't have a pin, I have a slip collar. The collar is moving back like it should, but I can't get the coupler to move off the shaft. The only thing that appears to be damaged is the plastic parts around the ring of the collar. I don't know if there is some residual strap stopping the movement or what.

/ Problem unhooking bushhog #8  
Perhaps those plastic parts are preventing full movement of the collar. Small inhibition can be critical on these.
larry

/ Problem unhooking bushhog #9  
Perhaps those plastic parts are preventing full movement of the collar. Small inhibition can be critical on these.
larry
Boy, ain't that the truth. I would cut the plastic back some, then try again.

/ Problem unhooking bushhog #10  
Sorry the original post did reference the slip collar if I had read better.......

It's really difficult to get a hammer in to tap the collar back so cutting the plastic is the first option. A pull hammer with a bearing puller might be adapted to pull the collar back. The slip collar is held on the PTO shaft by ball bearings that are held in in the grooce on the pto shaft by the spring pressure on the sliding collar. A split ring holds the slip collar on the PTO shaft. It too may be difficult to get to while on the back of the tractor. If you can't pry the collar back, it maybe necessary to cut the collar. They aren't hard to replace and most farm supply equipment places have them. But like any repair parts, they aren't cheap.