IP65 Plug 'n Forget Battery Charger

/ IP65 Plug 'n Forget Battery Charger #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Was shopping for batteries last week. Stopped at a local Industrial battery supplier.

One of these ended up following me home:

Battery Chargers - CTEK Battery Chargers

CTEK Multi US 3300.

I wanted another maintainer charger for the fleet. The manual states it covers 2-90Ah batteries. Charge current is 3.3A max, and the charger does have a de-sulphate cycle. Paid $74 C. CTEK has other models, if you need bigger/different.

Good enclosure design, the top overlay/seal is thick, and still flexible at -20C. So, I have some faith in their claim of dustproof/splashproof/rainproof (IP65) - it is meaningful for my needs.

I will be moving it around, but it does come with moulded in mounting holes, some people vehicle mount these. Supplied terminal clips/rings have built in blade fuse holders.

I do like the Cold mode (snowflake symbol), as it bumps the charge voltage up a bit, or you can also use it to more completely top up AGM batteries.

I've never dealt with CTEK before, but I trust the local supplier to stock quality products (OK Murphy, please let that one slide for me.... :rolleyes:), and I like the use of it I've had already in cold weather. CTEK appears to be based in Sweden, the unit itself was built (like everything else) in China.

If you start at ctek.com, you select Country first. If the link above works for you, that is the North American page.

Rgds, D.

/ IP65 Plug 'n Forget Battery Charger #2  
I was going to buy a ctek. I found a good deal on one online. Their website says to buy from authorized retailer, I guess there are knock offs. This bussiness was not on their list so I emailed them. They never emailed me back so I bought a Noco genius g3500. It does 6 and 12 volt. It as a 3.5 amp and a .9 amp mode and a cold weather/AGM mode for each. It mostly lives on the L4240. I mostly charge through the 12v power port.

/ IP65 Plug 'n Forget Battery Charger #3  
I have a Ctek myself. Its a great little charger, and has payed for itself in dead batteries that it's recovered.

I also have a Honda automatic charger that is supposed to be the equivalent to the Ctek, but it isnt. The Ctek handles my deep cycle batteries easily, while the Honda doesnt like them one bit.

/ IP65 Plug 'n Forget Battery Charger
I called a buddy of mine out in BC about this CTek, as he has a fleet of vehicles, and has to deal with coastal rain.

He found a similar product, by Bosch, at CTC for $50. I like Bosch, and that is a good price (might be a Sale, dunno).

C3 Battery Charger

Rgds, D.

/ IP65 Plug 'n Forget Battery Charger #5  
The Bosch stuff is relatively new I think. It could be the guts of a Ctek, repackaged? My experience with the Honda one has left me a bit gun shy though.

Im pretty sure that PA (or maybe CTC) had the Cteks on promo for like $35. It was an amazing price. Im kicking myself that I didnt buy another.

That is a great price Jason, on the CTek - I'll have to watch for it on sale.

I knew last week that I was paying List, so expected to see better prices later. Don't like to toss away money, but while dealing with several parallel crises (no start diesel was just one), it was money well spent.

Bosch does a lot of engineering in house, but I had the same thought, CTek might have been the OED for this. The Bosch does 6v too, but that normally doesn't matter to me.

I looked at heavier chargers in detail back in the Fall, but have now found that this end of the market has changed a bit - these IP65 maintenance chargers are more common than I realized. Nice evolution of the product - as most people don't have Leno's storage facilities to work with, many of us end up using these chargers out in all-weather conditions.

Rgds, D.

/ IP65 Plug 'n Forget Battery Charger #7  
Dave, for future reference on the Ctek, it was at PA. Item # 8368771. Last time on sale was Event 13, June 2012. I was wrong on the price however, it was on sale for $49.99.

/ IP65 Plug 'n Forget Battery Charger #8  
I looked at heavier chargers in detail back in the Fall, but have now found that this end of the market has changed a bit - these IP65 maintenance chargers are more common than I realized. Nice evolution of the product - as most people don't have Leno's storage facilities to work with, many of us end up using these chargers out in all-weather conditions.

Rgds, D.

I usually stick mine in the vehicle and charge through the 12v power port. I just run the cord out the door and close it. Just be careful it does not get pinched. You can stick it under the hood of a tractor to help keep it out of the elements.

I usually stick mine in the vehicle and charge through the 12v power port. I just run the cord out the door and close it. Just be careful it does not get pinched. You can stick it under the hood of a tractor to help keep it out of the elements.

Thanks Jason.

I often charge vehicles thru the cig lighter (ya, I'm that old :)) as you describe Roger. Even with this new charger, I do try and shield it a bit outside, but I know from other equipment areas that something that is truly designed for IP65 can take quite a bit of exposure. Good point about buying - cloning (of everything) is a huge problem.

The only twist I've found with Cig lighter stuff was with a Civic, but I suspect this is an even bigger issue with new vehicles. If and how the Cig lighter's power is switched can be a headache. On a 2000 Civic, it appears to charge thru the Cig Lighter, but effectively what happens is you power up the radio (and related stuff) in Idle mode, but you don't really end up charging the battery. Ergo, dead battery.

Even figuring out the power switching on a Cig Lighter ain't What It Used to Be ! :rolleyes:

Rgds, D.

This basic CTEK is on sale (today only) at Princess Auto. $40.

Rgds, D.