purchasing a 30+ hp compact

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #1  

rrostvet

Tractor
several
My first post, so things may be a little fuzzy. I grow native wildflower seed in 30 & 32 inch rows. Been doing this for years using a JD 955 and Yanmar 155D, (35 acres). Decided to go big or go back to day job ( wildlife biologist). My equipment and row spacing requires a tractor 50'' wide or less. Most posts are looking to spread the width out. I am looking to get the biggest narrow tractor with a cab (**** cold in ND) that I can get and still stay narrow, without getting into the big vineyard tractors. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
   / purchasing a 30+ hp compact #2  
Welcome to the forum.

The smallest tractor with a Cab that Kubota makes is a B3000. It is 53.7 inches wide according to their spec sheet. I don't know if it would be possible to set the wheels in on it or not to make it more narrow. The width measurement is usually on ag tires. They are supposed to have the new B50 series out this spring. I thought I heard about a 25hp B with a cab but I could be mistaken. You could also go with a B2920 and a aftermarket cab. It is 49'' wide. I am not sure if John Deere has any small cab tractors.

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #3  
just getting the wind off of you, (soft cab) that you can take on/off can be a huge, if you want a heater, you can hook into the radiator hoses, and you can buy a radiator core, or hyd oil cooler, and place in cab, and use say a computer case fan, to blow warm air into the enclosure. but just getting that wind off you. is a big one, and layered clothing will hold out.

some tractors have 2 different widths, by turning rims inside out. (normally requires switching tires side to side to keep tread going in correct direction) one way is narrow, other way is wider.

==============
not much help beyond above, been way to long since i went through all the manufacture websites and looked at specs.

last minute thought, i think agco one of there websites has a pretty good comparison setup. for a wide variety of manufactures of tractors. and gave fairly good details.

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #4  
The blueberry vineyard down the road from me uses a Deere 3720 Cab with Ag tires set as narrow as possible. I think that will meet the width requirement. It's a nice set up. If I ever finish planting my orchard I'll go with the same setup.

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #5  
I had a JD 955 with JDP cab. Very nice set up, but as you know, the JD's 33hp is rated at 3200 RPM. When you're in an aftermarket cab and there's no sound proofing built into the tractor, you have to have hearing protection and it's still loud.

I then went to a Kioti CK30 with Kioti comfort cab. It isn't factory, but it is built by Kioti for that tractor and is a very close second to factory. With R4's, it was just under 60" so it would be a little narrower than that with Ags and may have a narrow setting. It was a huge step up from the JD955 and even with 3 less hp (CK30 @ 2500 RMP), it would outwork the 955 by a very wide margin.

As mentioned, the smallest tractor with factory cab that I know of is the Kubota B3000 which just replaced the B3030 if you want to look for a used one. The BX and B series Kubotas seem to have very loud HST whinning noise and the noise level has been a complaint with the B3000/B3030 here on TBN (from both the engine and trans.).

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact
Thanks for the sugestions! I have been looking at JD 4410s with after market cabs, the one with turfs is 53'', (a little wide) and one with R4s is 56'' wide, (way too wide). My 955 is 50'' but need more lifting power on the 3pt.

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #7  
If you don't mind an aftermarket cab, something like Kioti's DS4110 is worth a look....over 2400lbs 24" behind the 3pt, and 49" minimum tread with Ags. Several companies offer decent looking cabs for them.

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #8  
Not a compact but kubota makes the m series in a narrow format that comes in a cab and is only 48" wide

Engine Type (Kubota, liquid-cooled, diesel)E-CDIS, Direct Injection, 4-cylinder, natural engine, Tier IV
Displacement (cu. in.)203
Horsepower (net)63.5
Horsepower (PTO)56
Alternator Amps (80 amp optional)45
Transmission (fully synchronized)4-Speed
Speeds (forward/reverse)8F/8R 12F/12R w/ optional creep speed
Height (front of hood)46" (HOOD)
Overall Width48"
Overall Length136.4"
Crop Clearance (front axle)14.8"
Wheelbase80.7"

Dave

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #9  
If you don't mind an aftermarket cab, something like Kioti's DS4110 is worth a look....over 2400lbs 24" behind the 3pt, and 49" minimum tread with Ags. Several companies offer decent looking cabs for them.

I could be wrong, but the number you're looking at is the width from inside to inside the tires. The overall width is 62" and I don't think you can get it down to 50", but who knows.

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #10  
I could be wrong, but the number you're looking at is the width from inside to inside the tires. The overall width is 62" and I don't think you can get it down to 50", but who knows.

It's possible, but their spec sheet says front tread width minimum is 49 (no max listed) with Ags. For rears they list a Min of 47.6 and max of 59.1 with Ags. R4s would increase those numbers a touch.