Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    new holland tn70

Default Re: Do you maintain/repair your own equipment or dealer service/repairs for you ?

well same here as most i do all the work on my tractor my truck's and ever day driver's. if i run into a major problem that im not sure about i call a guy who worked for new holland for several year's. i help him with his vehicle's he helps me with the tractor. i get my fuel 10 gallons at a time from local station has ORD. i have just seen so much bad work come out of dealler ships that i am very hesitant about letting them work on anything of mine.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200, Ford NAA, IH 454D, Case 1845C

Default Re: Do you maintain/repair your own equipment or dealer service/repairs for you ?

I now do 100% of the work on all my equipment and vehicles. I truly believe most dealer mechanics are vastly incompetent and would never allow them to lay a wrench on my things. This is based on many bad experiences in the past with my own and my family's vehicles/equipment. I even go as far as to do my own work even if it is covered under warranty, I'd rather eat the cost of parts and have it done right than have something else go wrong due to the mechanics screwing something up.
    Kubota B3200
    Ford NAA Jubilee
    International 454D
    Case 1845C skid steer
    JD 265

Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

240 hours on my BX so far and it hasn't seen the dealer since delivery. I do all the easy stuff myself and you'd be amazed at what you can find in tutorials on this site and others. Check youtube also, I recently watched a video on replacing bearings for a rear mower deck.

Foster Center, RI

Tractor
    Kubota M8540

Typically do all my own work on every thing from appliances ,motorcycles to my tractors. Usualy get ORD locally in 55 gallon drum and transfer it to a 300 gallon tank. Mine is all treated with a biocide to prevent algae growth , and a stabilizer/lubricant/antigel

Dave

Dave

Tractor
    Many

We do everything from service to tyre changes to engine rebuilds / clutches etc . Transmissions and computer is about all we are'nt brave enough to do . Then we wont use dealer and prefer a good private mechanic .
    And i wont touch small gas engines

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

I do my own maintenance, but in about 1500 hours in 10 years, nothing serious has needed to be repaired. I did have one loaded rear tire that I backed over a fresh stump and pinched the tube, that I took to a tire shop that does truck and tractor tires.

With a gear transmission, no computers, no cab, etc., it's a pretty simple machine as far as things that can malfunction goes.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    MF 150, TO-35, John Deere 5065E, Caterpiller 953 track loader

I try to do most everything myself. However, "a man's got to know his limitations" said in my best Clint Eastwood voice. Simple oil change or unbolt and rebolt parts I do. Internals or electronics, dealer does. Occasionally you can get lucky and find by word of mouth a dealer mechanic that does side work cheaper (relatively speaking). As far as diesel, I lucked onto a craigslist tank with a 12 volt gasboy pump. I have the local co-op bring offroad diesel in bulk. For the gasonline tractors, that comes in 2.5 and 5 gallon cans. Kroger offers reward points that can be redeamed on gas. 100 points is $.10 a gallon up to 35 gallons.
    MBA = More Bad Advice

Same here. As much of the maintainance as possible. Dyed fuel. A bit further to get but the process difference makes it a no brainer.
    2008 JD 5103, FEL, 6' Frontier, 6' HD boxblade, 7' Landscape rake, More impliments to come, Bobcat (clark) 742 SS.

Tractor
    John Deere 3320

I do all my own work once the warranty expires.
    Fluids I dont trust the shop guys to take as much care as i do.
    I use road diesel only because the 3320 uses so little but i've been toying with buying 100gal tank from the local co-op. 100 gal would last me a crazy long time.
    Chad.
    2012 Ford F-150 FX4 max tow ecoboost 3.73 ELD
    2012 John Deere 3320 Cab 300CX FEL
    1997 John Deere 425 60" MMM
    1954 John Deere 70 Wide Front FEL

Husqvarna Rancher 460 with 24" and 18" bars.

2008 John Deere 2520, 200CX FEL, 62inch Ramp on Deck. (Traded)

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Fluids, filters, and the like we do ourselves most of the time. For repairs, it goes out to the dealer. We buy ULSD at the local service station.
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast