Do you maintain/repair your own equipment or dealer service/repairs for you ?

/ Do you maintain/repair your own equipment or dealer service/repairs for you ? #31  
Try to do all repair/maintainance on all my vehicles. Been doing it so long now in the driveway in front of my garage(wish I had a shade tree there), on what's turned out to be a busy road that started out as a little traveled rural lane almost 30 yrs ago. Lots of the neighbors now bring me their vehicles too. Every once in a while, when working on something, even get 'new folks' stop to ask for help or if I can work on theirs. Usually always have something in the driveway waiting to be worked on. 2005 Mustang (neighbors) right now and 2002 Sentra (new folks) next up - though time for some maint on wifey's 05 Santa Fe real soon.
2012 BX is my first tractor and first dealings with diesel, haven't reached my first 50 hr sched maint yet -but looking forward to it. Had a couple warranty issues, one where I had to trailer her back to the dealer and twice where their service truck came to me. Just doesn't feel right having someone else turn wrenches on my stuff! My BX only holds 6.6 gals of fuel so I have 2 - 5 gal yellow cans so far that I try to keep full from a BP station up the street(only place for diesel close to me) @ $3.99/gal.

/ Do you maintain/repair your own equipment or dealer service/repairs for you ? #32  
Try to do all repair/maintainance on all my vehicles. Been doing it so long now in the driveway in front of my garage(wish I had a shade tree there), on what's turned out to be a busy road that started out as a little traveled rural lane almost 30 yrs ago. Lots of the neighbors now bring me their vehicles too. Every once in a while, when working on something, even get 'new folks' stop to ask for help or if I can work on theirs. Usually always have something in the driveway waiting to be worked on. 2005 Mustang (neighbors) right now and 2002 Sentra (new folks) next up - though time for some maint on wifey's 05 Santa Fe real soon.
2012 BX is my first tractor and first dealings with diesel, haven't reached my first 50 hr sched maint yet -but looking forward to it. Had a couple warranty issues, one where I had to trailer her back to the dealer and twice where their service truck came to me. Just doesn't feel right having someone else turn wrenches on my stuff! My BX only holds 6.6 gals of fuel so I have 2 - 5 gal yellow cans so far that I try to keep full from a BP station up the street(only place for diesel close to me) @ $3.99/gal.

In reading your post, I'm sure you are more mechanically inclined than I, however if you haven't seen this post it'll be worth a look before you do your 50 hr BX service. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/167108-do-your-own-fluids-filters.html

By the way, what issues did you have with your BX?

/ Do you maintain/repair your own equipment or dealer service/repairs for you ? #33  
I only take stuff back if it is warantee work, but only if it is something that is real expensive. Most of my stuff never sees a dealer unless brand spanking new. After that, I do just about everything... even if it costs me a little more the first time to gain experience/special tools/etc. I know that I do good work.... not so sure about someone else... :)

/ Do you maintain/repair your own equipment or dealer service/repairs for you ? #34  
I do all the maintenance and smaller jobs like replacing an axle seal etc. and as much small engine work as I can. A friend a few miles away (like 3 or 4) does anything involved. He did the brakes and clutch on my Farmall recently. When I take things to him, they always come back better than when they left. He takes care of stuff that he sees that just needs doing. In doing the clutch and brakes, he replaced the bolts that hold the rim to the center of the wheel. Small but it was needed. Plus I trust him and his work is reasonable.

/ Do you maintain/repair your own equipment or dealer service/repairs for you ? #35  
In reading your post, I'm sure you are more mechanically inclined than I, however if you haven't seen this post it'll be worth a look before you do your 50 hr BX service. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/167108-do-your-own-fluids-filters.html

By the way, what issues did you have with your BX?

Thanks unbidden, I found and saved that thread a couple months ago. I plan on using it when I do mine.
The 1st issue was a very minor one - dealer promised to weld on a bucket hook, when delivered it wasn't there. I called and they came out within a week to weld it on.
The 2nd(which also became the 3rd) I started this thread : Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s in the Kubota owning/operating forum.
Sorry, I tried to send the link but can't figure out how to do it - these computers use different wrenches than I'm used to !
Got instruction, from here on TBN to add the link. Hopefully, here it is http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ng/267531-leak-steering-cylinder-other-s.html

Last edited:
   / Do you maintain/repair your own equipment or dealer service/repairs for you ? #36  
I do all of my own maintenance always have always will. The tractor is still under warranty so I have warranty work done by the dealer it is there right now had a leak on the front drive shaft and warranty runs out in march gonna pick it up this weekend. All work will be done at home after that been doing that for a long time rebuild several tractors, cars, snowmobiles what ever. The only thing I really don't know much (if anything) about is diesels so I might have the dealer do some of that if I ever need it that is. But I am sure I will try and get it right even if I have to ask questions, unless I need the tractor like right away because I never said I was speedy!

/ Do you maintain/repair your own equipment or dealer service/repairs for you ? #37  
Too bad the OP didn't make this a poll, (can you do that here?)

I have two tractors and do all my own repairs including making repairing parts I can't source or don't need to as they are just pieces of steel.

I purchase Ag fuel and store it in a 250 gal tank with an electric pump, locked up in a barn. Go through a tank about every 12 - 14 months.