Starting issues with JD X340

/ Starting issues with JD X340 #1  

Kenster

I bought an X340 from a neighbor a few months ago. Looked like it was in really good shape. Had a couple of implements with it. 2007 model. About 640 hours. It had sat for a year or so after the old gent had passed away. Needed a jump to get started. I drove it about half a mile to our place and put it through its paces on our two and a half acre lawn. It did a great job. Had a little surging issue at first but after running it for a while that went away and has not returned. I offered $1150 for it and it was accepted.

After sitting on the charger for a while it would fire right up. A couple of days later it wouldn't even turn over. Maybe just a little click. The battery tested bad so I put a new one on it. The issue continues. I have cleaned all the connections and made sure they are all tight. Sometimes, after fiddling around with wires it will start right up. It will always start immediately if I jump it off of my F150. I'm beginning to think that it might be the starter relay (solenoid) or the starter motor itself. I'm considering taking it into a local small tractor mechanic.

I am amazed at the cost of a starter motor. Almost $400 dollars!! I just replaced the starter on my 68 Mustang for less than $80! And that was top of the line. If I have to put $400 to $500 into this tractor the $1150 purchase price won't turn out to be such a good deal.

Any way to test the solenoid and starter before I haul it off to the mechanic? I do not have an ohmmeter or other electrical testing devices.

Thanks!

Ken

/ Starting issues with JD X340 #2  
If it sat, there's a possibility of some corrosion inside of the solenoid. In some cases, you can pull those apart and clean them up also.

/ Starting issues with JD X340 #3  
I would begin by testing the new battery, maybe you got a bad one. If the starter solenoid works fine when jumping from your F150, it seems the problem could be elsewhere. Fiddling with wires and making a difference is also suspicious.

FYI -- there is a JD Lawn & Garden tractor section under the John Deere area. You will probably get more help if you post your problem there.

/ Starting issues with JD X340
I would begin by testing the new battery, maybe you got a bad one. If the starter solenoid works fine when jumping from your F150, it seems the problem could be elsewhere. Fiddling with wires and making a difference is also suspicious.

FYI -- there is a JD Lawn & Garden tractor section under the John Deere area. You will probably get more help if you post your problem there.

I had purchased a new battery right after I bought the tractor. I installed it and got the exact same symptoms as with the old battery. I took the new battery back to the store. They tested it and said it was perfect. I asked for a replacement anyway, which they agreed to. I had them test the newest battery to double check and it was fine. Installed the second 'new' battery with the same result. The slightest little muffled click when I turn the key. Nothing more. I have pulled and cleaned nearly all connections including the safety switch under the seat and the switch under the big right 'start/clutch' pedal. If this was my 8N or 68 Mustang, my thoughts would be on the solenoid. Since the solenoid is only about $30 and the starter motor is almost $300 (outrageous!!) I'll order a solenoid and see what happens.

Thanks!

/ Starting issues with JD X340 #5  
Hmmm. I am not familiar with JD's, but one thought is when you jump start the tractor, assuming you put the jumper cables on the +/- battery terminals, you are duplicating/eliminating the ground cable electrically. Maybe it has a good enough connection and continuity to allow the engine to run, but it is causing low re-charging of the battery by the alternator, and has too much resistance to allow high starting currents.

That is a stretch I know, but you can check it out by attaching one cable in your jumper set to the negative battery post and a good frame ground and see if it makes any difference. You could also check the charging voltage across the battery while the engine is running, it should be around 14 volts at least. Something is sucking the life out of your battery, or not allowing it to provide the needed amps for starting.