Damaged Threads in Wheel Hub - Thread Chaser or Tap - Or Call For Help

/ Damaged Threads in Wheel Hub - Thread Chaser or Tap - Or Call For Help #1  

DKCDKC

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E
I already posted about my stupidity in not noticing loose wheel bolts on my JD CUT rear wheel. Almost lost it. But one bolt came out with enough motion to mash up some of the threads in the hub. I bought some new bolts, but can't get a bolt in this hole. I hear advice from some who say I should get a thread chaser and use it to clean and straighten the existing threads. Others say use a tap to ream it out. I don't think a tap would take out too much metal - but I don't know, and don't want to have the bolt not take proper torque.

I don't have a chaser, or any taps that fit this metric size and thread angle - and it will cost to get one. I found suggestions online that, since a chaser is just a bolt with a slot in it, that I could just buy an extra wheel bolt, saw or cut a slot in it and use that - certainly the cheapest option.

Or maybe I should just call the JD dealer and have him come out and do it. Not sure what a service call would cost, but probably more than a chaser or tap.

Any suggestions?

/ Damaged Threads in Wheel Hub - Thread Chaser or Tap - Or Call For Help #2  
A tap couldn't cost more than $20. Just try and catch the original threads so you don't remove too much metal.
Dave

/ Damaged Threads in Wheel Hub - Thread Chaser or Tap - Or Call For Help #3  
A thread chaser and/or tap is going to be a lot cheaper than a field service call from the dealer. If the hub's threads are too boogered up to successfully chase, then you might consider Time-sert's to rethread the hub. I haven't used them; but a couple of my friends have and say they are better than Heli-coil's.

++ TIME-SERT Threaded inserts for stripped threads, threaded inserts, thread repair stripped sparkplug's, Ford sparkplug blowouts, threaded inserts threaded, repair stripped threads, stripped threads, inserts threaded inserts, Ford spark plug repair,

The worst case scenario would be for the dealer to install a new hub. $$$$$$!

/ Damaged Threads in Wheel Hub - Thread Chaser or Tap - Or Call For Help #4  
As mjncad stated try the TIME-SERT inserts. I did when the hydro trans plug stripped out on my Kubota. Worked great!

/ Damaged Threads in Wheel Hub - Thread Chaser or Tap - Or Call For Help #5  
I asked before, can you access the undamaged bolt hole threads from the rear of the hub? This is important to making sure the tap is following the original threads

By your questions, I suggest you ask for help from someone familar with tapping threads. Alternatively, do some research on hand tapping. In my younger days I've broken taps from poor technique & feel.

Right now, your hub is easily repaired. Don't make it worse or more expensive

/ Damaged Threads in Wheel Hub - Thread Chaser or Tap - Or Call For Help
I asked before, can you access the undamaged bolt hole threads from the rear of the hub? This is important to making sure the tap is following the original threads

By your questions, I suggest you ask for help from someone familar with tapping threads. Alternatively, do some research on hand tapping. In my younger days I've broken taps from poor technique & feel.

Right now, your hub is easily repaired. Don't make it worse or more expensive

I can see through the bolt hole so I imagine I can access it on the inside. The tires are loaded so I hope I can work through the bolt hole there. Handling loaded tires is hard. I have used taps in the past, but not in this kind of metal - in things like pipe fittings. I think I would call a neighbor who has more experience.

The other issue is getting a tap of the exact size and thread angle. I have a bolt, but can find nothing online anywhere to give me the exact metric size and thread. I may have to take it to a local Fastenal shop and see if they can measure it for me.

/ Damaged Threads in Wheel Hub - Thread Chaser or Tap - Or Call For Help #7  
Take out another bolt (opposite side) and take it to a supplier of machinist's tools and they will match it up for you.
Tapping from the back side will guarantee a proper job.
And using the removed bolt get a match as well for the damaged (repaired) hole.

/ Damaged Threads in Wheel Hub - Thread Chaser or Tap - Or Call For Help #8  
Determining the exact thread is relatively easy especially since you know it is metric. measure the the length from the crest of one thread to another and count the number of threads in between. If you measure ten millimeters and count 10 threads you have a 1.0 mm pitch. If you only count five threads you have a 2.0 mm pitch. it may not be an even number, i.e. your division may come out to 1.6 mm thread pitch. then you measure the outside thread diameter in mm's and get say 16. Then you will have a thread size of M16 x 1.6 or M16 x 2.0 or whatever the numbers come out to be. having a bolt, i.e. a male thread makes it very easy to measure.
Chasing the threads is very easy if you have a tap or a thread chaser. Use plenty of a light oil and turn it a little forward 1/4-1/3 of a turn and back it off a little then go forward another 1/4-1/3 of a turn and back it off a little. take it very easy and if it feels like you hit a stop back the tap out and blow out the chips and then turn the tap back into where you were and try again. Typically what breaks a tap is either a chip getting stuck and binding the tap (which is why you go a little and back it off) or if you do not just twist the tap and instead bend it sideways in the hole. As long as you are careful it is easy to do.

/ Damaged Threads in Wheel Hub - Thread Chaser or Tap - Or Call For Help #9  
Determining the exact thread is relatively easy especially since you know it is metric. measure the the length from the crest of one thread to another and count the number of threads in between. If you measure ten millimeters and count 10 threads you have a 1.0 mm pitch. If you only count five threads you have a 2.0 mm pitch. it may not be an even number, i.e. your division may come out to 1.6 mm thread pitch. then you measure the outside thread diameter in mm's and get say 16. Then you will have a thread size of M16 x 1.6 or M16 x 2.0 or whatever the numbers come out to be. having a bolt, i.e. a male thread makes it very easy to measure...

It's even easier than that... it's a 14M x 1.5 wheel bolt 23.5mm long. A new wheel bolt is $1.63 from Deere... probably pick up a tap for around $15.

/ Damaged Threads in Wheel Hub - Thread Chaser or Tap - Or Call For Help
It's even easier than that... it's a 14M x 1.5 wheel bolt 23.5mm long. A new wheel bolt is $1.63 from Deere... probably pick up a tap for around $15.

I bought the bolts from the JD dealer for that $1.63 each. But as hard as I looked online at the JD site and others, I could not find the specs on the bolt. Could you tell me where you found the dimensions?

And thanks for the info.