Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, Tier 4...

/ Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, Tier 4... #1  

Turbys_1700

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland t4.75
Does anyone have a list of when the different Tier regulations came into effect?
It would be a great benefit to anyone here looking at buying a new tractor when these laws came into effect...
Further compounding the issue is the gradient formula regarding the size of engines that went through these regulations...
Also, what typically will buyers find on Tier 1 versus Tier 2 versus Tier 3 ETC engines...
I know that different manufacturers may utilize different technologies in this regard...
The answer to this will probably be best answered by some of our good sponsor dealers that frequent these forums...
If this could be put into one document it would help a lot of folk out...
If this has already been addressed in one concise thread I apologize for the question...

/ Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, Tier 4... #4  
Note that those deadlines are not carved in granite. There has been flexibility, specifically flex credits. Engineering in new engines takes time and money. There have been flex credits so by making some engines super clean, other engines can remain dirtier. in fact some companies have ad models that never met an entire Tier living the time span using credits from other product lines. Also, there is the penalty method. Navistar has been aging fines for not meeting truck regs for the past 2 years and is now buying technology from Cummins to enable meeting regs. Also some, but very few, have implemented clean engines well ahead of the deadline. Companies are evasive. When asked I have seen responses like, "We are in compliance with all governmental regulations." They don't elaborate on how they are in compliance, meeting specs, paying a fine, or using flex credits. I asked one of my engineer friends how her project is advancing and she told me they cancelled the whole thing, are building the Tier 4 interim using Tier 3 engines and flex credits, and have changed scope to go directly into Tier 4 final.