Eicher 485 Throttle Adjustment

/ Eicher 485 Throttle Adjustment #1  

bolesa56

Tractor
Eicher 485
Hello,
I have a 2004 Eicher 485 tractor. I have a problem with the hand throttle lever returning to idle and not holding a constant throttle position. When this tractor was new the throttle lever would easily hold its position as the tention was pretty heavy. I cannot find any means of adjusting the linkage in way that would increase the tension. This make bushhogging a pain because you have to physically hold the throttle lever to keep constant RPMs where you want, I've since added a spring to hold the throttle plate on the feul pump/carb? open at about 1600rpms which works well for mowing. The problem is that I have to get off the tractor and remove the spring for the tractor to return to idle...a bit of a pain.

I'm hoping someone on this board has had some experience with this type of tractor and knows the method to increase the tention on the throttle. These tractors are not common, its a 3cyl air cooled diesel...made in India and sold through local Tennessee Farmer's Co-ops. I don't believe they still carry this model but parts are still available through the local Co-op.

This tractor works pretty well otherwise...I also have two John Deere tractors...this Eicher is in now way as ergonomically functional as the JD machines. The Eicher works...it's just a bit rough around the edges.

Any help is appreciated
Andy

/ Eicher 485 Throttle Adjustment #2  
Have you tried a new spring on the throttle it's just a guess but it might work

/ Eicher 485 Throttle Adjustment
Well this weekend I finally got around to taking a serious look at this throttle issue. The throttle on this model is an L shaped lever that feeds through the dash just below the steering wheel. I was able to remove the upper and lower dash components. This Eicher has a large spring that is wound around the throttle shaft...below the spring is an adjustment nut and below that a lock nut. To adjust you simply loosen the lock nut and tighten the preload nut at the bottom of the spring and retighten the lock nut. In my case the spring looked to be already tightened about as tight as it could be...the spring was already compressed as far as it could go...which is why the tractor originally had heave throttle tention. Anyways, a previous issue with this tractor was that when you shifted into reverse and the tractor was warm...a small stream of fluid would squirt from the gear shift linkage plate between your feet upwards. This oil appearently coated the underside of the dash, all the wiring, the throttle spring, etc. My guess is the oil caused the linkage to slip instead reguardless how much tention the spring had on it. I sprayed a liberal amount of carb cleaner on everything under the dash to remove the film of oil and the throttle began to hold it's position perfectly. So I re-installed the dash and everything seems to be working as it should...oh and I repaired the gasket on the shift linkage plate so it doesn't squirt any more oil.

Next I will be removing the rear wheels to swap the inner hub in order to get a wider stance, and also looking to replace the smallish front wheel/tires in order to be able to carry round bails with the front lift without so much stress on the tires.

Take Care
Andy

/ Eicher 485 Throttle Adjustment #4  
Very cool and I'm glad it got you to look ... because it was just a guess on my part but very cool good luck obb