Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    BOTA L3400 DT -SQ 172 B HOG-WAC PHD-JD SUBARU PWRD GENNY

Default Re: Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tra

Glad things worked out ok ! I too keep 2 extingueshers on different end of my garage. Going to make it one of my priorities to attach FE on my tractor ASAP (Brian method). Thanks to all for reminder (cheap insurance).

Boone
    2 CHRONICLES 7 : 14 (KJV)

Tractor
    BOTA L3400 DT -SQ 172 B HOG-WAC PHD-JD SUBARU PWRD GENNY

Default Re: Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tra

Anybody care to comment on these 4 FE. Would # 2 be enough , or should order next level, if not from where ? I do a lot of HD net purchases. (free shipping/ more varietie than store etc). For mounting on tractor/truck. This thread got me thinking.

Search Results for*fire extinguishers*at The Home Depot

Boone

This one also suppose to have better finish for outdoor elements : http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...&storeId=10051
    2 CHRONICLES 7 : 14 (KJV)

Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

Nicely done, Brian.
    You even got the paint to match!
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230D

Talk about enough extinguishers, I have 9 in my 2 story garage. 3 co2 and 6 powder. One each in the two vehicles and boat but none on the tractor (I'll have to remedy that). Also have 8 of them in the house at various locations, Halon, co2, and powder. We have a volunteer fire department here, and you are the best first responder. By the time they assemble and get on scene, their considered foundation savers.

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Quote Originally Posted by jimainiac View Post
    Really glad to hear that since you were home and near a fire extinguisher things turned out okay. I think of fire extinguishers as cheap insurance policies, you get them and hope you never need them. I have them all over the place, and one with each vehicle, but here's another thought - it's important to check their gauges and replace or recharge if necessary. Example: I put a fire extinguisher on the tractor's roll bar years ago. One time while bushogging I backed under a low branch and the extinguisher got set off for a short burst. That was a surprise! The gauge now reads a little low. They say that setting them off even once breaks the seal, allowing them to leak down. The point is, this story gives me the incentive to replace that little sucker before I actually need it. I also read that the constant vibration of being on the tractor can compact the contents of the extinguisher to the point where it might not work. Don't know if that's true or not, but I figure why take a chance. I'm putting this on the top of my to-do list.
    That is very true!! This is why you frequently need to take the dry chemical extinguishers out of their bracket, turn it upside down, and shake it until you can feel the chemical moving around inside it. On mine, it seems like the longer I let it compact, the harder it will be to break it up. I learned that right here on TBN.
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

Don't forget too, that in a case like this, you CAN put out a grease fire with SNOW, rather than running to the house/garage. Doesn't help on a hay rig though.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i carry a FE on all my tractors. good insurance.

on the yoke ont he tractor.. if it is siezed.. I suggest carefully attacking it with a die grinder till you can split it and then use a chissle to driv eit open a hair then slide off.

Tractor
    Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded

Quote Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
    Sometimes my drivelines heat up when under a load, like the round baler, and that heavy shaft gets stuck on there. A little squirt of kroil, and just a little bit of persuasion with a pry bar and it's off. Hopefully yours is that simple.
    Tried again today with no luck. I'll try to figure out what kroil is. I haven't tried fluid film yet.

I found out that the heat from the fire was so much that it slightly melted a portion of the drawbar which the spinning shaft was able to get close to.! Not enough to have to replace it but I will have to grind it down a bit to smooth it out.
    Current: Kubota M7040 cab, hydraulic shuttle, Kubota M20 loader (made by ALO), LandPride RCR1872 rotary cutter, Horst bale spears & forks, Woods HB72 box blade, Kodiak 7' rake, Walco cultivator, chain harrow, Meteor 74" pull style blower

Traded: Kubota L3400, LA473 HST (300 hrs), and various attachments

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by pat32rf View Post
    Don't forget too, that in a case like this, you CAN put out a grease fire with SNOW, rather than running to the house/garage. Doesn't help on a hay rig though.
    I actually tried that for a little bit. Didn't seem to be working. Decided it wasn't worth messing around with since I had a FE not far away.
    Current: Kubota M7040 cab, hydraulic shuttle, Kubota M20 loader (made by ALO), LandPride RCR1872 rotary cutter, Horst bale spears & forks, Woods HB72 box blade, Kodiak 7' rake, Walco cultivator, chain harrow, Meteor 74" pull style blower

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    i carry a FE on all my tractors. good insurance.

on the yoke ont he tractor.. if it is siezed.. I suggest carefully attacking it with a die grinder till you can split it and then use a chissle to driv eit open a hair then slide off.
    I was hoping I wouldn't have to but it seems I might.

What about just heating it up a bit and trying to use a crowbar to get it off?

Annoying thing is I can't even get it to move a bit to a position where the lock that holds it on will stay undone.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast