Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor #21  
sure... you could torch it off.

i'd be expecting to replace the pto shaft seal and bearing.. maybee just seal.

as for the fire melting the drawbar? um.. maybee the sheaft beat the drawbar and it looks melted.

as to get REAL hot to melt steel.. figure 2500f for mild as a starting poiint. your burning grease / pto shield was probably around 1850-1900f

ps.. kroil is a penetrant oil from kano labs... a lil more $$ and may work better than more common PB oil..

I was hoping I wouldn't have to but it seems I might.

What about just heating it up a bit and trying to use a crowbar to get it off?

Annoying thing is I can't even get it to move a bit to a position where the lock that holds it on will stay undone.

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor #23  
Anybody care to comment on these 4 FE. Would # 2 be enough , or should order next level, if not from where ? I do a lot of HD net purchases. (free shipping/ more varietie than store etc). For mounting on tractor/truck. This thread got me thinking.

Search Results for*fire extinguishers*at The Home Depot

Boone

This one also suppose to have better finish for outdoor elements : Auto Marine Fire Extinguisher-21008634 at The Home Depot

I would recommend getting one from a company like Amerix, Badger, Ansul, or the like...they will last for a long time. They are refillable and maintainable, whereas the ones from "the big box store" are disposable. You can even get a water extinguisher for use on brush fires, grass fires, paper fires, trash fires, and such that you can refill yourself.

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor
i'd be expecting to replace the pto shaft seal and bearing.. maybee just seal.

Ouch. Didn't expect that. Anyway I can tell if they need replacing? Or do you think it is pretty much gauranteed that they do? I might end up sending this off to my dealer.

This may be a dumb question but you are referring to the shaft bearing and seal on my tractor right?

I'm curious to see what they respond with. I'm expecting at the very least hey should get the blower manufacturer to hook me up with a new PTO shaft.

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor #25  
Ouch. Didn't expect that. Anyway I can tell if they need replacing? Or do you think it is pretty much gauranteed that they do? I might end up sending this off to my dealer.

This may be a dumb question but you are referring to the shaft bearing and seal on my tractor right?

I'm curious to see what they respond with. I'm expecting at the very least hey should get the blower manufacturer to hook me up with a new PTO shaft.

might even have to replace the tractor side PTO stub shaft, that busted shaft spinning around could conceivably put enough pressure on the pto stub to bend it. and that could also explain why you can't get the shaft to come off.

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor #26  
if he's not carefull when he torches the bub off.. he may need a seal ....

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor
I'm curious. How much help do you guys think it is reasonable to expect from my dealer on this?

I honestly believe that no PTO shaft should do this. I talked to the service manager at my dealer and he suggested it was not abnormal to have a grade 8 bolt and it should have sheared. He seems to suggest the lower stop may not have been set on the 3pt on level ground so if I went into a low spot the shaft may have telescoped too much and come apart. I don't think he is understanding me for some reason.

If the bolt is not supposed to shear under these conditions, I'm not sure when it is supposed to shear.

So far this dealer and service manager have been great to deal with so I guess I should give them the benefit of the doubt until I hear back. Curious to hear what you guys would expect from your dealer - in addition to my theory that a grade 8 bolt should have never been used.

It seems like the service manager misunderstood originally which is why he thought the PTO came apart. He was quite concerned when he found out that it had twisted and broken off and is pursuing this with the manufacturer.

I have no idea what the outcome will be but as everyone always says here, the quality of the dealership and the service department and manager make all the difference. Regardless of the outcome I know he will have worked to my benefit thr best he can.

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor #29  
there is a minimum overlap that you need on a pto shaft.. you don't rely upon a stop to keep a shaft from coming apart. had it been too short.. you simply repalce.

in any event.. yours was not a telescoping problem.

as for a gr8 shear bolt.. I'd ask to see that in writing from the manufacturer.. gr2 is common.. I see SOME gr5 in some cases..

Often the simple answer is the most accurate one. I really do think the hardened grade 8 bolt was the problem here. I'm away in business now but I'm going to check my manual when I get home. Highly doubt it will be recommending a grade 8 bolt.

Like you I've found most recommendations for a grade 2 bolt but have used grade 5 successfully.